Process Will NOT Quit via Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by axisofphilippe, Nov 26, 2010.

1. axisofphilippe macrumors member

axisofphilippe

A while back I installed an application that allowed me to stream media from my Mac to my PS3, called Gridcast. It didn't work well, so I got rid of it. Since then I have had two processes constantly running, "gridcastd" & "GridCastAlerts."

When i select and quit the processes nothing happens, they just continues to run.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

In the terminal:

Code:
    killall {process name}
    -or-

Code:
    kill {pid}
    Note that you do NOT need the {} in the actual command. They are just to indicate where you put the name or pid.

The process ID is an integer number which can be gleaned from the process's entry in Activity monitor.

3. axisofphilippe thread starter macrumors member

axisofphilippe

When I tried the kill {pid} command on the first process (gridcastd) I got the following:

684: Operation not permitted

When I tried the same command on the other process (GridCastAlerts) the PID changes from 1309 to 1311, then I kill 1311 and the process quits for a few seconds then comes back with a new PID. Weird?

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, that won't help him now unless he reinstalls the app and uninstalls again. If the OP used an installer with this application, it makes it more difficult. OP, in Finder, do a search for the application name. In the drop down menu that defaults to "kind," select "other..." and check the box for "system files." Now choose "system files" from the drop down box and select "is included." Delete any folders that were created by the application you installed. Hopefully you can now quit those processes that are running.

This shows the ugly side of some applications that do a poor job with installation. It's wise to use a utility such as AppCleaner in the future.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons and remove any Gridcast-related plist file. If not there, try /Library/LaunchAgents.

7. axisofphilippe thread starter macrumors member

axisofphilippe

Thank You!! Totally worked. It buried a folder in Application Support, I would have never found it.

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Do this ^

I would have posted that instead of searching, but forgot those folder names. :eek: You can still search as I suggested to clean up any other leftovers from Gridcast.

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Ah, great! Glad you got it sorted out. Sorry for the double post -- I open a bunch of tabs at a time and don't refresh before posting...whoops.