Processes of osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cool11, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I can see many processes running through activity monitor. I wonder if there is any way of controlling them. I would like to see something like 'administrative tasks' of windows, which let user start/stop services, set them to run manually or automatically etc.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you know what each process is and how it affects your system, you're better of leaving them alone. Besides, Mac OS X does a much better job of running efficiently without user tampering than does Windows.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I see many processes running that it should not be running, in my opinion.
    I really do not understand why some programs run all the time their processes, when I use them once in a month. Isn't it a waste of cpu power for mac, or possibly creating problems to my computing experience? (example: no shutdown, maybe a process prevents it)

The less processes running, the better, or not?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Any particular process you don't want running all the time? Most are there for a reason.

P.S. OS X is perfectly capable of starting and stopping background processes as they are needed. For example, backupd, the Time Machine daemon, is only running during backups. Otherwise, it exits.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What are some?

Just because you think they should not be running doesn't mean the system isn't using it for something else. Are you actually quitting these apps you use once a month?

Yes, but the system needs quite a few processes to run properly.

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Of course I quit any application I do not use.

For example, I cannot understand why 'parallels service' should run all the time.

'Cocoaspell service' why it should run? Now use the new capabilities of snow leopard about the dictionaries.

'Radioshift service' why it runs? I have to use this program over 2 months now!

etc.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Do you know what you are doing? If you did, you would not have needed to start this thread. Unless you are running out of memory or a process is causing a problem, do the smart thing and leave them alone.

S-

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Can we actually see a process for Grand Central Dispatch in Activity Monitor?