Processing new pics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deetle, Aug 29, 2008.

1. deetle macrumors member

I currently use iPhoto and for me I need to put the pics in their appropriate albums. The problem comes when I am importing lots of photos ( my last import was 1000+ pics ) is keeping track of what photos have been moved to 1 or more albums , and witch ones have not . Also be able to pick a photo from the library and see what albums it is part of.

Any suggestion on this process ?

Would Aperture help with this ?

2. pprior macrumors 65816

I don't use iphoto so can't help you with its interface or storage protocols.

However I frequently import 1000+ photos as well and use aperture. Aperture dumps them into an import folder which I label as temporary, then once I've gone through and culled and KEYWORDED (the key!) then I move them to another permanent folder.

However when you have that many folders, eventually you're going to have problems finding anything, which is where keywording comes in.

Aperture has some really nice oganization features. and LR 2 has some very nice ones as well (including suggested keywords and a nicer keyword choser bar) and either one would be a big step up from iphoto.

If you're taking that many photos, I would suggest it's worth your time to step up a bit - both programs have videos on the web to show you what they can do and both have demos you can download and try for 30 days.

One thing I really like about aperture is that I store all my photos within the aperture library and it backs them all up via the "vault" system so I'm never looking around for photos in finder, they're always right in one spot, even with mulitple versions of the same file created in PP it's all done automatically.