Processor add-ons for speed??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve007, Jul 22, 2008.

1. steve007 macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this is a stupid question....
    I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 mac at my work which i use mostly for graphic design ie. Creative Suite 3. My employers have just bought me a G5 mac off ebay for me to use at home but i fear it's never going to be fast enough to open 500+mb files in a short time because it only has a 1 1.6 GHz PowerPc Processor. I am not very technically savvy when it comes to macs so i'm not sure if it's possible but can i add a new processor to it to make it a dual processor? When i open the side of the unit it has one processor with the G5 logo on it but looks like there is room underneath it for another one. Thanks.:confused:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow...a 1.6GHz G5 was a bad choice. It will be VERY slow. I am pretty sure you cannot upgrade the processor without changing out the motherboard. At that price (well over $600), you should sell the 1.6Ghz and buy a new one. I dont think you can add another processor either on the 1.6GHz.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The 1.6 GHz G5s are the only PowerMac G5's that have a motherboard that accepts only one CPU. A bad choice there, unfortunately.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is the situation where a Mac Mini can actually upgrade your work machine at home.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Sell it and use the money to buy a better powermac, or a new mac pro. those still fetch $1000+ on ebay.