Processor at 100% and audio issues after wakeup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ReubenZ, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ReubenZ macrumors newbie

13.3" MacBook Air with Core i7 and Mavericks

I'm experiencing an issue with my MacBook Air. This happens when I wake it up from sleep. I don't get an more audio and most of the time one of the cores goes up to 100% (AFAIK the Core i7 in MacBook Air has 2 cores and not 4 even though Menumeters shows 4 cores).

[​IMG]

Activity monitor shows that one process in particular is affecting the processor. This is kernel_task. What is it and what does it do? Why is it going to 100% on wakeup?

To get things back to normal I have to restart.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the MBA is dual-core, so Activity Monitor can show up to 200% CPU usage (100% for each core).

kernel task is part of OS X, and is partially driven by requests made by other apps, so the problem doesn't likely lie with kernel task itself, but with another app.

At a time when you're experiencing the problem, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. ReubenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After doing a bit more research, it appears you're not alone with this issue, which doesn't seem to have a resolution at this time.

kernel_task is using 100% CPU when waking from sleep

You can check any audio apps you may have installed, such as Boom, but other than that, I don't think there's anything you can do.

5. ReubenZ thread starter macrumors newbie