Processor comparisons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tempto, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tempto macrumors member

Hello,

This is not specifically a Mac issue but I could not find anywhere else more suitable to post it. Being not very processor-savvy, I was just wondering how several processors would fare against each other, namely the:

i3 3.2GHz 4MB Cache vs i7 2.13GHz 8 MB Cache

i3 3.2GHz 4MB Cache vs i7 1.73GHz 6 MB Cache

and finally

i3 3.2GHZ 4MB Cache vs i5 2.53 3 MB Cache

I could not find any results on Google, as my queries were obviously too specific.

Thanks for any input.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Tempto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. From what I can tell from that link, comparing the [closest] models I was asking about, I came to the conclusions that the models I listed opposing the i3 are significantly faster. I wasn't expecting that big of a difference, taking into account the clock speed was seemingly much higher.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I linked to desktop CPUs. Maybe you need to look at laptop ones...

5. Tempto thread starter macrumors member

Hmm? Would you happen to have a similar link for laptop models? =)

6. patchouli macrumors member

processors

I did a lot of research before purchasing my Mac. These are Intel processors. Go to the Intel site where they list the specs for every one of their processors. Instead of doing a comparison search on your models above, do a search just on one at a time, and look at reviews. I went to a bunch of places to get different info and created a spreadsheet so I could compare the various specs and it really helped a lot to see them all side by side in a 'big picture'.