Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Im looking for a (free) app for OSX that will measure core temperature for the processor cores on my Mac Pro.

I have tried some apps but i don't get the exact core temperatures.

Since i just did a processor swap i want to make sure the cooling paste is applied correctly, and that all cores get even cooling.

Does anyone have a good app for this? I tried google with no good result.

Thanks!

Last edited:

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Seems like the perfect app for me!

However i couldn't get it to start? Tried rebooting after install but when i double klick the app it only looks like its starting up and nothing happens. I am still on Mavericks, maybe thats a problem?

//GF

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It hides in the menu-bar in case you haven't noticed. No problem here on El Capitan. Mac Fan Control also show the core temperatur, when you have it open for configuration. But not so fancy as HWSensors
http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

I think he mean individual core temperature, not the overall core temperature.

AFAIK, it's OSX version dependent. In the old OSX, you can have that. For the current OSX, you can't, and the easiest way to do that is actually via bootcamp.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I think he mean individual core temperature, not the overall core temperature.

AFAIK, it's OSX version dependent. In the old OSX, you can have that. For the current OSX, you can't, and the easiest way to do that is actually via bootcamp.
???Both hwsensors and Mac Fan control (in configuration) shows temperature, for each individual core, or you mean something else?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
???Both hwsensors and Mac Fan control (in configuration) shows temperature, for each individual core, or you mean something else?

I had that in something like 10.8 and before, but may be since 10.9, that individual core temp disappeared forever. I though it's Apple changed something. Or simply I hit a bug? So, can any other users confirm in El Capitan with MacsFanControl show all cores temperature? If yes, may be its time for me to do a clean install.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I had that in something like 10.8 and before, but may be since 10.9, that individual core temp disappeared forever. I though it's Apple changed something. Or simply I hit a bug? So, can any other users confirm in El Capitan with MacsFanControl show all cores temperature? If yes, may be its time for me to do a clean install.
Maybe you are somewhat right. I where sitting with my dualcore Macbook Air, when I responded last time. Now I have checked on my old 2009 27" iMac (i7-860) and though it is a quad core machine, both hwmonitor and mac fan control only show temperatures from 2 of the cores..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.