Processor Differences in the New 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Norseman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. The Norseman macrumors newbie

Regarding the new 27" iMac processors, I would imagine there is a noticeable difference between the 2.9GHz and the 3.2GHz, but is there much of a noticeable difference from 3.2GHz to 3.4GHz?

2. lali macrumors regular

What is most relevant with modern cpu's (since they're so fast) is your usage patterns, the software that you use. For example would the software you use benefit from hyperthreading?

I encode a great deal of video for my idevices, and the i7 is just wonderful. If I was not encoding much I am pretty certain a base cpu plus tons of ram and fusion drive would be ideal

3. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Anyone know why the i7 wasn't an option for the 21.5" or the base model of the 27"?

4. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

To make you buy the 27" most likely. At least that is my guess.

With the amount of capital Apple has, they probably ran research on test groups to identify what would make people want to purchase the next model up and improved specs and this is what they came up with.

I get the feeling when I look at the difference between specs of the 21" model I would want to go ahead and buy the 27" model and then when I look at the specs of the 27" model, I would rather have the high end model because the cost difference isn't too much higher for what you get. Part of me thinks that Apple purposely designed the pricing system this way.

People that don't have enough money to get the high end model can get a lower model and at the same time they might still have a desire to later get a high end model. People that have enough money to get the high end model most likely will and then a couple years later will end up getting the next high end model. Win Win for Apple

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

the same reason why the 680mx isn't available as an option on the lower end 27". it'll become an option only if you start at the $1999 config.

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Just curious. What are you encoding? What type of files for your idevices (AVIs, MKVs)? Because there is a chance you don't need to be encoding (depending on the file types).