Processor fan not spinning?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Jan 10, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My PC is a custom built rig that I got for Christmas of '07. Everything was working. A couple of months ago, I noticed my processor fan isn't working. I took nothing of it and here I am getting worried. Everything's hooked up right, the fan does spin when I spin it. It works when the computer is off for like 1hr, and then I turn the computer on, that is when it works and it continues to work until I turn it off again.

The only reason I care is because I bought Portal, and that is taking 100% of my CPU power. (2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo E4500). It runs for like 2 minutes, and then my computer turns off because (I'm guessing here) my processor is getting to hot.

Anything I can do or something?

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

There might be a short in the fan's wiring. I would suggest getting a new fan.

Don

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Forgot to add this- The fan does spin like 2 times right when you turn the computer on.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So the fan won't work once the OS boots. But it works the rest of the time? Am I understanding you correctly?

Don

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, like right when I'm pressing the power button to turn it on, it spins like twice, and then it stops. This is all before my Hard Drives/Ram options are even listed.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I think a short in the wiring is the most probable cause. I would get a new processor fan. If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

Don

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Some motherboards only engage the fan when the cpu gets to hot, there thermally controlled

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

But the fan doesn't even come on when the processor gets hot. The PC freezes and turns off when the processor is at 100% power. The fan never comes on.

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Ok as DMAC77 has suggested might be worth test a new fan in the unit.

10. leishan macrumors 6502

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Test a new fan. It is a cheap test.

Also check the bios and make sure you do not have some quite mode running or some setting like that.