Processor in New Aluminum Macbook 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hi, i just got a new aluminum macbook, Its the high-end one with the 2.4ghz processor. Im new to mac and im sure this is a stupid question but are the processors in this macbook penryn based? and if so is penryn the latest technology from intel? i get rather confused with the different types of processor names..as far i was concerned there was amd and intel and the sub-catagories. So if anyone has some info for me it is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

As far as I know they are indeed Penryn based, as it being the latest chip, I'm unaware, sorry :eek:

Victor

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Macs now use only Intel processors. The one in the current Macbook is the latest to come from Intel. They are Penryn Processors too. I know it's confusing, as I was before.

Montevina (typo I know, can't remember how to write it right) = "Platform" from Intel branded as Centrino 2: Processors and chips all put together. This is not used right now by the currents Macbooks, but they do have equal (The Core 2 Duo Penryn Processors) or superior (The GPU, the Geforce 9400m, being one of them) component and chips provided by nVidia, so it does not matter.

Penryn = Architecture of the "current" family of the processor. Right now they are going to transitioning to nehalem, a new family which is already available for desktop and will be for server class (coming months) and mobile class (end of 2009) that is branded as i7, if I can remember well.

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

That sounds good to me lol, not that it really matters to me although i was a little bit curious. Thanks for the quick response though.