Processor Jump or SSD Jump??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharkzfanz, Feb 26, 2010.

1. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

I am ordering a Macbook Pro. I am waiting until March 16th and if no refresh I will order. Here is my 1 and only question.. I have read all over so please stay on topic and done go on about wait for i7... I have been hehe but due to use it is pointless to me but I want the best as I am only out of pocket $200-$400 for this order...

I want to know if it makes more sense to bump from 2.8Ghz to 3.06Ghz and get a 320GB 7200rmp HDD or stay down at the 2.8Ghz and get the 128GB SSD.

I only use 40GB of space now so that is not an issue.

What will give me the best performance and why...

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

With the amount of space you're using, I can't imagine you're doing anything processor intensive. If not then the SSD is definitely the way to go as the hard drive is typically the slowest part of the computer these days.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

SSD will give you more performance increase than the 206 MHz more from the higher CPU.

4. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks from doing reading that is what I am noticing.. I know computers but am not this technical to know this exact thing so I wanted to check with everyone.. Most uneducated would say get the processor which is why I asked why....

Same as above...

New thing!!!

How good is the apple SSD... Again the cost is not my concern just quality.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Wow, I wish I could say "only" $400 like that :p

If you're only using 40 GBs than a 128 GB SSD would be the way to go. Apple's BTO SSDs I believe are mostly Samsung SSDs which aren't brilliant performance wise, but generally an OK all-rounder.

If you aren't afraid to put one in yourself, an 80 GB Intel SSD may be the best choice.

6. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

OP: get an Intel SSD....they're far superior to one's Apple uses in their laptops.

7. Thessman macrumors regular

That would be 260MHz, to be precise.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nooooooooooo, you have to take into account the inflation of CPU resources, as currently coal is not as valued as on Silicon, but the signs are good, that our speaking forces will get the Obtainium within the next two to three arn, so that THE 54MHz might be redundant anyway.

[​IMG]

9. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I always like to remind people: You can buy and install an SSD at any point in time when you have the computer. You can not ever upgrade the processor. Just keep that in mind when purchasing the computer.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Let's be honest here though, the jump you get from a processor upgrade is less and less relevant as time goes on. Do you think someone who paid $200 extra to get a 2.16 GHz MacBook instead of a 2 GHz MacBook 3 years ago has a $200 advantage nowadays?

11. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's input.. One one hand I can see the get 3.06 now then upgrade but then its double money either way but a very good opinion..

I think I am on the understanding the following:

1) Better to get SSD then processor jump.
    2) Better to get Intel over Samsung
    3) Doesn't hurt to upgrade both

Will get more performance jump in my case with SSD..

If anyone else has input feel free I am not jumping on this today but sooner rather then later.

12. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Get an Intel or OCZ-SSD, don't shell out for Apple's overpriced crappy Samsung. Seriously, check some benchmarks, e.g. at anandtech.com - Samsung's SSDs are some of the worst on the market.