processor on new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by laokai, Mar 7, 2012.

1. laokai macrumors member

What does the new processor really mean in terms of the performance of the new iPad? I told myself I was only upgrading from my iPad 1 (which seems increasingly sluggish these days) if the new model was going to be significantly quicker and more powerful. But I can't really tell from the announcement how much difference the new processor will make---everything seems to be focused on the graphics side of things. Any ideas?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's probably about the same as the iPad 2 as far as CPU performance. RAM is unknown at this point, probably bumped to 1GB because the high resolution resources will take more memory.

The iPad 2 is already significantly faster than the iPad 1 though. I really don't know what sort of additional performance you would want other than fancy graphics effects.

3. laokai thread starter macrumors member

Well, my iPad 1 gets pretty slow when playing music while also doing other stuff, such as typing emails. Can also be pretty slow some times when switching between apps. And Safari has developed an annoying habit of crashing all the time. So I thought a faster processor/more memory would help. I don't care nearly as much about the new screen.

4. Stetrain, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

The iPad 2 CPU is a MAJOR step up from the iPad 1. The 3rd-gen iPad seems to be more of a GPU bump on top of that.

Edit: Maybe you should just get an iPad 2? You can get a refurbished one on Apple's site starting at $349.

5. homeboy macrumors 6502

That's what a co-worker once told me. He tried my iPad 2 and the multi-tab browsing in Safari and said that it felt like a completely different device.

6. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I think the "A5X" has a GHz bump instead of a "# of cores" bump.
    EX: 1 GHz A5 - 1.2 GHz A5X?