Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I just bought a PowerBook 1400c at an estate sale today and when I booted up I saw that it has the slower 117mhz processor. I was wondering if there was some way that I could upgrade to the faster 166mhz processor, the unit is in a perfect state. It even came with a free Ready to Read with Pooh CD! :D

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
IIRC, only the 133 dropped in - I don't think the 166 MHz processor will work. That said, there were a variety of G3 upgrades made for your machine.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
This probably will be the same thing but if I were to buy a new logic board for the machine would I be able to then upgrade to the faster processor?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
This probably will be the same thing but if I were to buy a new logic board for the machine would I be able to then upgrade to the faster processor?

If you bought a logic board from a 1400c/166 then yes you could, but the speed increase isn't worth it in my opinion. Id just upgrade it to a 133.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
My recollection of the PB1400 when it was current that it was quite a slow machine.

Additional RAM was the way to improve things (if only slightly), or a G3 CPU which were pretty expensive at the time.

Memory for the 1400 is a bit of an oddball. There is a "factory" RAM socket and a "user" RAM socket.

The "user" RAM socket can actually have 2 RAM cards fitted, but depending on the combination of modules, you'll either hit the maximum RAM or the machine won't function. (See also http://support.apple.com/kb/TA36087?viewlocale=en_US)

The only combinationd that gave the maximum of 64MB was (with 8MB on the logic board):

8MB in the factory slot
and
two stackable 24M modules in the "user" slot

OR:

8MB in the factory slot
and
one 48MB module in the "user" slot.

The problem we continually struck was customers who had previously purchased a 32MB module wanting to go to 64MB. Sadly, they had to replace their expensive 32MB module since it wasn't usable in ANY combination to get to the magic 64MB. :mad:

NewerTech's old "Guru v2.9" is a handy tool for determining what RAM works with many older Mac models

Also, some of the "user" modules weren't stackable. :eek:

iFixIt has a nice guide for accessing the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.