Processor Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andrewoc, Jul 10, 2013.

1. andrewoc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm planning on switching from an iMac (3.06ghz intel core 2 duo) to a Macbook Air (1.7ghz dual core intel core i7 w/ turbo boost to 3.3ghz). I was wondering since the mba has a lower clock speed but a better type of processor (if that makes sense), which would perform better?

Thanks

2. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

MBA will probably be significantly faster

Typical GeekBench scores for the iMac 3.06GHz Core2Duo are about 4700.

The MBA 13 i7 gets scores around 6600.

You will also find that the PCIe SSD in the MBA makes it a VERY responsive machine. I'm delighted with mine!

HTH

3. Suraj R. macrumors regular

Clock speed aside, the Air (both i5 and i7) are generations newer than the C2D the last iMac used. As well the new Airs have turbo boost and hyper threading, which your C2D don't have. So in essence, your i7 Air will be a 3.3 Dual Core i5, or a 1.7 Quad Core i5. Definitely faster than your C2D iMac (my i5 Air was a HUGE improvement over my 20" C2D 2008 iMac – over twice the Geekbench score).

Air i5 64-bit Geekbenches around 7000 (around 6800 to be exact)
    Air i7 64-bit Geekbenches around 800 (around 8200 to be exact)

Plus the SSDs (flash storage really) are some of the fastest available. Don't worry you'll notice a huge difference between your current machine and the new Air.

4. Tarrou8 macrumors member

Base clock speed means nothing these days. C2D doesn't remotely compare to a 4th generation dual core i5 or i7.

5. ylrd macrumors member

ylrd

I have that iMac too (see my signature), and its speed doesn't even remotely compare to the Air's.

Can we please stop thinking that a high clockspeed means better performance?

Haswell >>> Core2Duo