Processor reads 00 mhz

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
132
0
What happens when a processor goes bad?

Will the computer - G4 - still boot up?
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,698
292
Chicago, IL
usasalazar said:
What happens when a processor goes bad?

Will the computer - G4 - still boot up?
If the processor goes bad, the computer won't boot up. There is nothing there to process all the information.
 
Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,266
76
In order for a computer to boot, you need at least a mostly functional motherboard, ram, and processor. In some most cases (depending on your bios) you also need a functional video card.
 
Comment

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
1,794
4
It still has firmware, thats why you have to use bootcamp to install Windoze on a intel-mac
 
Comment

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
no the computer should turn on, but after that its questionable. The motherboard has a built in processor, comparable to a cmos, to get everything on and get the processor going. a dead power supply would make it not turn on at all.

also a side note, a power supply and a motherboard is all you need in some cases. It will beep at you signaling problems. Also in some cases I've seen a computer refuse to turn on without a PS/2 keyboard plugged in.
 
Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,698
292
Chicago, IL
Me1000 said:
It still has firmware, thats why you have to use bootcamp to install Windoze on a intel-mac
You need to install BIOS onto the Intel Macs if I remember right since they utilize EFI instead. Both are a form of firmware, but are specific types of firmware.
 
Comment

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
Warbrain said:
You need to install BIOS onto the Intel Macs if I remember right since they utilize EFI instead. Both are a form of firmware, but are specific types of firmware.
If I remember correctly the EFI emulates a BIOS for xp/ other operating systems, not that that matters really though. Just pointing out EFI is always in control.

this thread is getting way off topic...
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.