Processor speed: 3.06 vs 2.26

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattwolfmatt, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I've looked all over for this comparison but can't find it . . . how much difference, really, is there between these two machines?

iMac 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 500GB @ 7200 ($1149)
    MBP 2.26GHz 4GB RAM (I'll upgrade the RAM myself) 160GB @5400 ($1099)

I don't need the storage space of the 500GB, but I'd like the fastest machine in this price range. Making it a laptop would be nice, but I'm not convinced it's necessary.

In other words, how much difference is there between 3.06 and 2.26 GHz, and does the slower HD really make much difference?

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's like asking if a Ferrari is better than an 18-wheeler just because it's faster. What do you use your machine for? If it's just internet browsing and iTunes then it doesn't make any difference.

3. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Photoshop editing will be the biggest hog. Not video editing much.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

If photo editing is the only worry; 2.26GHz will suffice. Obviously, more CPU power will help. However, not enough to notice big differences.

Do you plan on working with RAW files? How large do your image files get?

Habitus :apple:

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The 3.06 is much faster. But the 2.26 is not slow. If you don't multitask a lot and don't need much CPU horsepower the laptop has the advantage of portability.

Personally the only imac i would consider getting is the 27 inch i7 model.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The iMac also has a lot better screen then the 13in MBP, which is worth considering if you are using this machine for mainly photoshop and don't have an external display.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need the mobility? If not get the iMac, its faster and has a better screen.

8. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Thanks all. I will probably get the imac, as the mobility would be a convenience only the next four months while our newborn sleeps in our bedroom with us (in a bassinet). That's where the computer will be located. After that it'll go in another room (the baby, not the computer). The extra $1000 for a similarly stocked laptop - plus the obligatory external monitor - just isn't worth it for those four months of convenience.