processor speed difference matter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpnotebook80, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to know how big of a difference the macbook pro 13" is between the 2.26ghz and 2.53ghz.

2. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Regardless of whatever you're doing, I doubt it would really be that noticeable of a jump. You just get double RAM and a bigger hard drive.

4. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i wanted something small and dont really like the weight of a laptop
    I have a imac desktop at home.
    The macbook air was good but the tech specs are poor and more aesthetically pleasing.So I would like the 13" and At one point I did but a black macbook 13" 2 yrs ago and i didint like the screen and fonts were bit blurry etc.
    but hopefully the new ones are good and upgraded on the graphics etc.
    but the processor speed does that make a difference in speed or applications etc. I will use photoshop some minor video editing, etc.Also encoding some movie files to dvd and itunes using visualhub.right now my imac takes its own time encoding anything.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Almost 12% more speed, not noticeable unless you render and encode (calculate) much and you want to gain some minutes with the faster model.

PS: It will be alright to use the 2.26GHz model for video editing and photo manipulation.

I currently work on a dual G4 1.25GHz and edit a lot. It is capable, but a little bit slow.

6. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe, but RAM is more for active applications so they don't have to write/read from/to the HDD.

If you only do quick encodings (less than an hour material) you will be well off with the 2.26 model.

8. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea i was reading that article and it said
    "
    Of course, some of this performance difference is due to the 2.53GHz system's additional RAM, so we also tested the 2.26GHz model with 4GB of RAM. Most of our tests (which are run one at a time) don't benefit much from additional RAM, and the two-point improvement in the Speedmark score bears that out. The biggest performance difference with the additional RAM was in our Photoshop suite times, which improved the new 2.26GHz MacBook Pro's score by about 10%."

so does that mean that the improvement is only for photoshop but not video encoding etc