Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hey everyone.

I know that the mobile processors are underclocked when on battery power, but by how much?

I have a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro. I tried CoreDuoTemp but it said it wasn't supported on this machine, and it was the Leopard version too.

Anyone know what speed the processor drops to? I'm just curious, really. Because it is a bit noticeable sometimes, like when a Stack expands into a grid and there's a lot of files to show.

Thanks!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It depends on the settings. You could just disable the speed reduction by putting the energy saver pane's processor speed to maximum.

My TiBook 500 would throttle to 300 in reduced power battery mode.

TEG

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It depends on the settings. You could just disable the speed reduction by putting the energy saver pane's processor speed to maximum.

My TiBook 500 would throttle to 300 in reduced power battery mode.

TEG

I don't see a processor speed setting in Energy Saver, even when on battery power.

You mean the slider, right? Like the G5 towers have?

All I have are the Sleep Computer, Sleep Display, and 3 checkboxes under Options.

Oh yeah, CDT said that it's unsupported because this machine doesn't support manual processor speed settings, so I'm guessing that's why I don't have that setting in Energy Saver.

Is there any other free software (or even shareware, since I'll just use it once and toss it) that shows the current CPU speed?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The author of this thread wrote such a program a few days ago:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/459306/

Thanks, I tried it out.

But it doesn't show any difference between battery power and ac. I ran the "yes > /dev/null" command with two terminal windows just like the thread said to, and ran the app.

While on AC power and battery power, the "Actual Frequency" stays at 2.33GHz.

Interestingly enough, when the computer is more or less idle (meaning at most it's 75-80% idle) it says the Actual Frequency is around 1.33GHz. But that changes as soon as the processors are used more, and it goes up to 2.33.

Since this program was made for use on the Air, I can't be sure of how accurate it is on a MBP. Unless someone else can confirm it does work fine on a MacBook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.