Processor & Speed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickjamesknight, Feb 27, 2011.

1. nickjamesknight macrumors newbie

So after being slightly disappointed with the new 13" Macbook Pro's I think i'm going to invest in a Macbook Air 13" as I imagine that Apple will be leaving the same sixteen month gap in between releases so I should be pretty safe.

I've had a look and i'm unsure if I should get the 128GB 1.86GHz model with 4GB of memory or if I should go to the 256GB model where I get the option to upgrade to 2.13GHz for an extra £80 making it a very expensive buy :L

I was just wondering if you guys think it would be worth going for the faster processor? I won't really need 256GB I can't imagine as I have a 2 TB NAS that I store almost all of my large files including video's on but I was just wondering if the extra speed would be a benefit?

Thanks, Nick

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on what you do but the CPU difference is fairly insignificant. I went with 128GB with 4GB RAM.

3. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I doubt there would be a huge difference between the two, although I have the 2.13 in the previous gen and it runs brilliantly, especially with the SSD! In terms of space, I have the 128gb SSD and have around 50gb free, and I have all my music (5000 songs) and apps installed - with other media on an external 2tb. [​IMG]

4. nickjamesknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think the MBA will run Windows 7 smoothly too via bootcamp?

5. P Mentior macrumors regular

I have been running windows 7 on mine with no problems. I have a 11" with the 1.4GHz and the 64GB SSD. It was a PITA to manage the SSD and get windows installed with enough free room to grow but it runs great. Since you are looking at models with bigger SSDs you should have no problem.