Processor swap iMac and Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by maxxaddict, Apr 1, 2009.

1. maxxaddict macrumors newbie

maxxaddict

I have a 2 ghz core 2 duo 17" white iMac (ATI Radeon X1600 graphics) and I just purchased a 1.5 ghz core 2 solo Mac Mini for cheap. I'd like to upgrade the iMac to a 2.33 ghz processor and swap the old processor into my mac mini. is this possible?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt they use the same socket, even if they are socketed.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't know which sockets each one uses, but I do know that trying to upgrade an iMac's CPU is much more trouble than it's worth. Upgrading Minis I do believe is possible. Google around and see what you find.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are the same socket but the iMacs is soldered in place. You can pick up a 2GHz T7200 on eBay for $150 or less.

5. txnoob macrumors 6502

I know you can upgrade the core solo mini, but not sure the processor from the iMac is the same type used in the mini. But you can go up to c2d 2.33 in that mini if I'm not mistaken. However most people got to 2.16 because the cost difference isn't worth the performance difference.

6. maxxaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

maxxaddict

I know the processor in the imac is socketed, I was just hoping someone had done a swap on the imac and could tell me if they were interchangeable. I think they're both socket 479 right?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard that people have done that but it's very hard and if you haven't been inside computer before, don't try it. iMacs are not like tower desktops.

If you're stupid enough and don't worry about losing your iMac/Mini, it's you're choice. I don't recommend that

8. maxxaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

maxxaddict

If I was concerned about damage to my machine I wouldn't have posted about trying the swap. I've worked on g3, g4, and g5 iMacs as the tech at my office.

I am just wondering if anyone knows if the 2 chips are interchangeable.

I know it's a fair bit of work to get in there and swap the chips I just don't want to go in blind do a tear down just to find out the chips are not compatible.

9. ADent macrumors 6502a

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I've done it with a 20" 2006 white iMac. I took the 2 ghz core duo out and put in a 2.33 Core2 in the iMac. I replaced the 1.83??? core duo with the 2ghz core duo in my Mac Mini (I was in there upgrading the drive anyway).

The iMac was a major construction job to take apart, but the Mini was relatively easy.

I'm almost positive that the core solo versions have the same socket. There's a couple of sites that will confirm it for you.

Accelerate your Mac

I'm typing on the Mini right now.

Attached Files:

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

The question is, why do you want to add a mere 333Mhz to your iMac? You will notice no difference whatsoever.

Forget the iMac and just get hold of a Core 2 Duo CPU for the Mac Mini.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would agree if the iMac were already a core2 CPU, but I suspect it's just a core duo.

And FWIW, the Core2 CPU's are noticeably faster. My 2006 iMac is going strong. I was looking to purchase the latest Mac Mini, but after seeing the soldered CPU, I just might track down a cheap Core2 processor for that too.