processor swap?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by loudaddy, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudaddy macrumors newbie

hi everyone, i am a long time reader first time poster....
    i have a dual 2.0 ghz powermac with a bad logic board. could i take one of those processors and put it into my 1.6 single processor tower?(swap)
    thanks. lou

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Nope. The 1.6 only has a single socket to start with, but the power requirements and who whole set of other things won't allow that to happen. Sorry.

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

No. The 1.6 will go crazy and run the fans at full speed because of the unsupported hardware configuration.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

All I can say is try it. It might not work(most likely) but it could?

Google ASD 2.5.8 to download the software and burn it to a disc and then run the thermal calibration tests once you've swapped the processors so your fans don't run at max speed ;).

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Thats theft.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Thanks for the information. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Apple will enjoy going after all of the Häkkentoshers running their current configurations before they care about a calibration program for outdated hardware "Apple has no legal obligation" to support. Unless, of course, you're on the inside and know somebody who can give/sell the ISO.

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Its known as "morality", you know, the choice between being a good person or a lowly thief thats too poor to buy things for themselves.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Now now, no need to associate thievery with those those not financially well-off.

9. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Your argument about morality is valid. However, hawking fleabay for months on end for an official disc is, for all intents and purposes, a moot point. Not to mention that (by now) Apple probably no longer has any of those discs available to the public.

However, the latter part of your sentence easily begs generalisation. I would be far more careful with your wording. Since, after all, a life of nabbing oranges from supermarket aisles is better then dying of starvation.

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

They are one in the same.

Buying from a thief is no better. Apple Service Diagnostic discs were distributed to Apple Service Providers only, not the public. That means they were not to be sold.

Not in the least; Those are people unwilling to make anything of themselves. Better to be selling oranges on the corner than a petty thief stealing them.

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Thanks for informing me; I honestly didn't know. That does make things a bit more tricky.

No, they are not. Read on.

How about a person who wants to make something of themselves but doesn't have the means to do so? Let's say, the man under the bridge wanting an education. Or the child in .

Let's see, will the man under the bridge get accepted to a community college? Potentially. Get student aid? Probably not enough. Damned to something worse then stealing and that's relying on other people; very variable, considering the status of "homeless", IMO. True, there may have been a bad decision or two to get there, I admit.

Let's talk about the people with no decision. For a single instance - the boys who are kidnapped and become soldiers for whatever front you pick in Africa, those boys cannot leave safely to begin with and they violate some definite morals because they are forced to. This becomes a way of life, with no "safe" way out.

Sometimes people are born in welfare or strife and cannot get out of it.

Bringing it back to this argument;
    cum hoc ergo propter hoc

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

welcome to macrumors lou!

i hope your future experiences here are better then what this thread has turned out to be ;)

i had a quick ebay, and came across this. its a motherboard for what seems to match your 2.0ghz powermac, around $280US. probably a bit more then cheap, but not exactly expensive.

have a better look around ebay and possibly craigslist for dead computers that you might be able to swap on the cheap.

goodluck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.