Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Niagara Falls, Ontario
So this is an example of a jr. varsity kid trying to play in the big leagues. "But Youtube made look so easy!"

I tried to switch the processors between my flashed 4,1 to my 5,1. Now neither of them do anything. They power up. The monitor, HDs, and fans all work, but nothing happens. No start-up chime. The red lights on the corners of the heatsinks stay on. when I shut it down, the red light at the top left corner of the motherboard comes on and stays on until I unplug the machine.

I am confident I made all the steps. I wrote them down. When I checked them again, the thermal past was smooth and comprehensive.

Hope someone has experience in this.

I was trying to take the Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz processors from my 4,1 and put them in my 5,1. Then put the 2.66 processors from the 5,1 into the 4,1

Could this be something about de-lidded and lidded?

Thanks folks, you have been so kind in the face of my ignorance

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Dont understand all you did.

4.1 Dual is delidd
5.1 Dual, 5.1 Single and 4.1 Single is with lid.

you can't put delidded Xeons in a 5.1. That won't make contact with the heatsink if you managed it to lock in in any way.

also you shouldnt put lidded Xeons in a 4.1 Dual, this can cause the Sockets to get pins bended.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Can I delid one and use it to lid the other? Or is it to difficult and risky?
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone re-lidding a processor... de-lidding is risky enough. Do the computers work as normal if you switch everything back to the original hardware configuration (de-lidded processors in 4,1 and lidded processors in 5,1)? If so, wouldn't it be simpler to just perform the firmware upgrade to make your 4,1 into a 5,1?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Hopefully you didn’t use the extra spacers/washers on the 5,1 that should have been used on the 4,1. Spacers/washers are only required with lidded CPUs on the dual CPU 4,1.

I have personally chosen the delidding option with all my upgraded 4,1>5,1 over using the spacers/washers option. I’ve seen two cMP that were butchered (pins bent on the CPU bed on the tray) by over tightening.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone re-lidding a processor... de-lidding is risky enough. Do the computers work as normal if you switch everything back to the original hardware configuration (de-lidded processors in 4,1 and lidded processors in 5,1)? If so, wouldn't it be simpler to just perform the firmware upgrade to make your 4,1 into a 5,1?
re-lid is simple, very common on gaming PC.

Just put some liquid metal between the die and the IHS, don't even need to use any glue, just let the socket's clip keep the lid into position is good enough, very low risk.

Of course, the user can glue the IHS into position, just not necessary.

Reactions: Pecator

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So this is an example of a jr. varsity kid trying to play in the big leagues. "But Youtube made look so easy!"

I tried to switch the processors between my flashed 4,1 to my 5,1. Now neither of them do anything. They power up. The monitor, HDs, and fans all work, but nothing happens. No start-up chime. The red lights on the corners of the heatsinks stay on. when I shut it down, the red light at the top left corner of the motherboard comes on and stays on until I unplug the machine.

I am confident I made all the steps. I wrote them down. When I checked them again, the thermal past was smooth and comprehensive.

Hope someone has experience in this.

I was trying to take the Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz processors from my 4,1 and put them in my 5,1. Then put the 2.66 processors from the 5,1 into the 4,1

Could this be something about de-lidded and lidded?

Thanks folks, you have been so kind in the face of my ignorance
You created quite a few confusions.

Please upload some photos (the tray, close look of the socket / pins, etc). So that people don't need to guess and can offer more useful suggestion.

Reactions: Pecator
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.