Processor temperature gets high! Please, help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Mar 30, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

My late Macbook Pro has been functioning amazingly well for the past months.

Today I haven't been doing anything special and the fans of the laptop started to spin like crazy! The temperature went to 80 degrees (Celsius) and the fans were spinning at 6000rpm.

I did a SMC reset, but it didn't help. I tried the SMC reset 3 times... no result. I let the laptop to cool down and tried the reset again.
    Now the speed of the fans back to normal (2000rpm), but the temps of the processor are a bit higher (40-45 degrees, used to be 39).

Nothing has been changed in my environment. I was just browsing on internet and everything happened so suddenly.

Could you tell me what can be the problem and whether I should start worrying? Should I contact Apple??

Awaiting your replies... :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

CPU temps routinely run 50-80C. It's nothing to worry about. I'm barely using mine now and it's at 65C. You're OK.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i agree with GGJ. if you had a sudden jump like that you must have done something. no worries tho 40-45 is fine. if it really bothers you tho get a stand or a cooling station. my MBP idles at about 20-25C.:cool:

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

mine idles at 35C, 40C when browsing web, can easily hit 85 if I push it... Your temps are fine.

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If everyone would read the whole post, then maybe you guys could have been helpful.

He said it was 80C & the fan was running at 6000RPM. This is not normal for routine tasks.

You have an out of control application. Open up Activity Monitor and see what program is eating up all your CPU time. I've had my printer do that before for no apparent reason; not saying that is the problem though.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

woah there buddy, no need for that.

but this could be the reason.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I just saying... 3 posts, and it didn't appear that anybody read what the OP wrote.

No hard feelings...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maybe you should try reading the post, yourself:

10. harry454 macrumors 6502

if you are using FAN CONTROL then remove it, I installed it in my mac, then rebooted and temps were randomly at 80 degrees and fans on max, I uninstalled it installed smc and it was back to normal at the normal 46-50 range at idle

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no worries

i had a little trouble following what he said maybe. anyway, i will say that it is definitely something running in the background that you may not be aware of.

12. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey MacFellas,

Thanks for all your replies.
    To be honest with you, it was pretty scary to see my MacBook Pro which I regard as the most reliable machine I have ever had, malfunctioning like that. It got really hot and the fans have been spinning 6000rpm!

After I did the SMC reset, everything went back to normal. Now browsing on the Internet I the processor gets 41C-45C (Celsius) hot and the fans don't even reach a point of 2000rpm.

The weird thing that it started (as far as I could remember) after a strange error of jDownloader (something with the Java), which I had to close using the Forced Closing Option.

I have so many important documents and information relating to my study, that I was pretty scared to think of sending my laptop back to Apple and doing my work without it, especially at this moment when I need it the most...

I hope this kind of things, like this weird SMC behavior, is a normal thing in the Mac world (I heard many people getting troubles with the fans, resetting the SMC and just thinking of it as the most normal thing op the planet).

I also hope that I will be allowed to remove the hard disk if I get the bad problems with my Macbook.

At night I have been performing the Apple Hardware Tests etc. and everything must be just perfectly working. No reason to worry... Hope I am right.... ;)