Processor Transfer Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ercj95, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ercj95 macrumors newbie

Christmas is around the corner, and I'm people are asking what I want. Well while what I really what is a Mac Pro 8-core, I can't get that. However, with some web browsing I came across a company selling G4 processors for Power Mac DA dirt cheap. I was wondering, can I take a 667 G4 and transfer it to my current 533 G4 logic board? How do I do that? Unscrew the daughter card? Help!

2. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Yes. If you use google there are many CPU swap guides.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

For the cost of an upgraded processor from say OWC, you are actually better off picking up a used and faster G4 Mac of eBay or Craigslist. You can get Dual 1ghz G4s for Under $200. Then all you need to do is just swap out your hard drive and add your existing memory to the newer one, if there's open slots available.

For the money, going from 533 to 667, you will not notice anything! Bumping it up to 2gb of memory will give you more noticeable results. Then sell your old G4 for $50 or so and use that money to buy a better graphics card, if the G4 you find only has a stock one.

Try to find at least a dual 1ghz either a Quicksilver or MDD(Mirror Drive Doors) G4. Like I said earlier, you could actually find them cheaper without HDD or memory as you can just swap your own but the MDDs do use DDR memory so that will not swap.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

*added*
    To answer your original question. Yes that will work with taking another faster processor and installing it in your older one.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to say though- I had an old G4 Sawtooth for over six years. I upgraded the processor to 1 Ghz and the RAM to 2 gigs. You can't get 2 gigs in the newer G4s. You can only get 1.5.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah I forgot to mention that, thanks. The Quicksilvers only had 3 memory slots where all the other G4 desktops had 4 slots. Don't know why Apple skimped on the QS's?

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

IAWTP. The bump to 667 is hardly worth doing.

Ditto on the Sawtooth, it works decently with those specs, well, relatively anyway.

7. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular