Processor upgrade question ...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rainier42, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rainier42 macrumors member

Currently have a 2006 MP with duel 2.66 quad processors that I've been using for video editing. I have an opportunity to snap up a pair of 2.66 octo processors for under $300 each. What I would like to know is do I have to worry about eSpec Number, Core Stepping, CPUID String, and Thermal Spec or do these not matter and I should just be concerned with Bus Speed (1333 MHz) and Socket Type (LGA77). If they do matter, what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Rainier

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As long as they are Xeon X5355s you will be fine.

3. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Stepping doesn't matter. Just take any 53XX's and it will work :)

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

That's a good price! Where might I ask did you get them? I've been looking and haven't found anything price-wise that makes the upgrade worthwhile. I wonder how it will play with Snow Leopard?

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

what umbongo said. and they will play just fine with snow leopard. a processor that is fully supported by leopard won't just start working differently under snow leopard, so don't worry about. snatch those babies up!

6. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Yep - I dropped a couple of X5355s in my Pro, and everything works just fine. A few of us have here. Search for 5355 in the forums and you'll find guides on it. Go ahead and get those - good price!

JP

7. Rainier42 thread starter macrumors member

A friend of mine has pulled them from 2 hp workstations he is parting out. Figured he'd give me a better 'buy now' price before putting them up on eBay. Am also considering just upgrading to a 2.8 8-core machine and then selling my current setup to offset the cost. Just need to weigh the pros/cons.

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If your $600 investment bumps your MP value by more than $600, it may be worth doing the upgrade even if you are going to sell. It may be worth upgrading and seeing if Snow Leopard really does make more efficient use of the extra cores. Having 16 cores at almost the same speed as the new machine with 8 cores might make keeping your current machine worth it.