Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
So I was wondering a little something about actual performance under OS X. Are dual processor machines really all that they're cracked up to be? I have a 450 Cube, and I'd love a little more speed. The current options are either a dual 500 daughter card upgrade from Sonnet or a single 550 daughter card upgrade from XLR8. Heat and cost being non-issues (as fans don't bother me too much and this little project is being written off), which would offer me better performance. I have 1.5 GB of RAM and a Radeon installed right now, if that helps any. Thanks for the help guys! :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i think that dual-processors are only really good if you are working on really big files, like 1GB photoshop files. i think it also helps for rendering animation and stuff like that. if you don't do stuff like that then your machine will probably run a bit slower. i'm not sure where i saw it, but it was a site comparing a dual and single processor Macs of the same MHz. for small everyday stuff i think the DP machine ran a bit slower.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I would go dual anyway cause it will ensure that your computer will last a little longer than a single CPU. Even if you don't use Photoshop or and other CPU intensive application....... Your OS X will thank you:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Processor Upgrade

Originally posted by wsteineker
So I was wondering a little something about actual performance under OS X. Are dual processor machines really all that they're cracked up to be? I have a 450 Cube, and I'd love a little more speed. The current options are either a dual 500 daughter card upgrade from Sonnet or a single 550 daughter card upgrade from XLR8. Heat and cost being non-issues (as fans don't bother me too much and this little project is being written off), which would offer me better performance. I have 1.5 GB of RAM and a Radeon installed right now, if that helps any. Thanks for the help guys! :)

I've been thinking about doing that to my Desktop 450, but I'm looking for something a with a little more umph! Dual 500 would be nice, but I'd be happier with something higher than 700 or so. With all the rendering I do it would definintely help and that way I could wait out the G5 a little more comfortably. Does anyone know if there is going to be an upgrade to the cards any time soon?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Dual CPUs are ...

Only good if your doing stuff with Multi treaded applications like PS and Brice. OS X has some built in stuff to make it take advantage of the extra CPU. Normaly how Dual systems work is that the second one kicks in once the first one has been maxed out. Keeping both running all the time can add overhead with little bennifit if your not using it. It all depends on the environment that you are working with and your needs. If it was me I would go with the Dual CPU's... the diffrence between a 500 and a 550 is... not much... but a Dual 500 will kick ass.

-eivldead

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
dp on OSX KICKS!!

I've tried an 867 at compusa and I swear my dual 500 is faster in general stuff. multitasking+dualie=smooth

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Has anyone upgraded a Sawtooth with a dual CPU? I'm really thinking now I need to do this. Lightwave would most likely be almost twice as fast. Thats worth the price, no question about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.