Processor Usage In Corner?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LSJ, Mar 2, 2011.

1. LSJ macrumors newbie

On Ubuntu, you can show your processor / RAM usage in the top-right hand corner of your screen. Is there anyway to do this on a mac? Preferably in the following order:

Usual Crap....... Battery... Date... Spotlight

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

istat is a paid for app, i recommend menu meters :) both great.

4. LSJ thread starter macrumors newbie

After googling the first, I was going to ask for an open source / free one. That's brilliant. Do you use Menu Meters? Have you ever had any problems?

5. LSJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for providing feedback. I shall download it now :)

6. simsaladimbamba

I used Menu Meters before I found iStat and it was quite a good application back then, but since I found iStat is stayed with iStat, even after they moved to a paid app, but as they only accepted credit card (which I gladly still not have) and I offered to send them the money via letter, they gave me a code for free. Maybe you can ask Highland (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=25271)? Smegging Aussies, current residents included. Crikey, it is cold in Orange.

Btw, maybe atMonitor can help you too.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great! good choice :)

he said he wouldnt be doing it for all, but worth a shot.

are in orange? its hot where i am tonight. :)

ive tried that, wasnt too keen! worked ok though from what i can remember.

8. LSJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I've just installed Menu Meters and it's exactly what I want.

I'm always a bit hesitant with using open source software on my personal machine (though, not in the slightest on my work machine). But from a few googles, it appears to be a widely used piece of software so my initial hesitation has gone.

I may give iStat a run for it's money - if there's a trial version, anyway.

9. simsaladimbamba

It is worth a try, I was surprised to get one too. The torture of choosing.

"Are"? It's the blue mountains, stopping the cold from going to the other side I guess. But you are probably on that side that is not other.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i use both actually, see attached picture.

i am fairly certain that there is a 30 day trial.

[​IMG]

edit:

us aussies are nice guys ;)

are YOU in orange* haha.

i am at the very top of New South Wales. 30c here tonight :)

11. simsaladimbamba

So I heard, but I seriously doubt that. There aren't nice people anywhere.... ;)

Sadly not, I would love to live in a place called Orange, especially when I look for socks in this colour, which are not available to the German people as it seems.

30°C? Let's not go down this road again. Unless you are freezing, like you would when it is 20°C.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAH! well youre not wrong there bud ;)

i was being sarcastic - Orange is honestly a big hole in the ground.

i wont start - but i do wear a jumper when it is 20°C, and probably normally jean pants. :D

13. simsaladimbamba

Sadly. Wishing to be optimistic to silence my Twelve Monkey syndrome.

It looks quite okay from above, at least the surroundings, the town looks rather dull, but I just like the name and the name of those mountains on the east of it. One day I will visit it and see for myself.

I recently returned from my brother's house in the country and we still had to use wood and coal to heat the place and it was only -5°C, but the house was built shortly after the war and has no thick walls, therefore we had a problem to get the living room up to 16°C sometimes.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i had to google that ;) go easy on the young-un

its wonderful countryside don't get me wrong! but actually spend more then 10minutes in there and you will quickly get over the place :(

ugh. winter. where i am it never basically falls below 5°C in the middle of a cold winter night, and im always covered in multitudes of blankets (thank god). i dont know how some people do it!

15. simsaladimbamba

You have never seen Twelve Monkeys???? WTF? If you are into Terry Gilliam or can at least enjoy his work, and this is quite mainstream (Willis, Stowe, Pitt), then I recommend it to you.

I'm from the country, I think I can handle 12 minutes at least.

Vodka. And chocolate. And curd with honey and milk. Curd looks like turd. As a word, not in reality or real life as some advocates of the seventh church would call it.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

never heard of any of those names before :( film is not my strongpoint.

im from a rural area too, but man IT SUCKS. hehe

interesting. my two favourites ;) i shall keep them in mind for the winter time!

17. simsaladimbamba, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Terry Gilliam is the US American member of Monty Python and was responsible for the animations in the Flying Circus and directed several of their films and his own (The Baron Münchhausen, The Fisher King, Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, Brothers Grimm, Tideland, etc.). He is a quirky director, like Tim Burton, just in another way and more extreme.
    Willis is Bruce Willis, you may know him. Pitt is Brad Pitt, who got an Oscar nomination for the performance in Twelve Monkeys, and Madeleine Stowe is famous for some 80s/90s films like Blink or Stakeout and some others.
    If you have the chance to watch it, I recommend it, but it may not be your taste.
    Here is a bad quality trailer of that film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNMEwNx9x4

I was born in a village, got moved to a middle sized city (short of 100.000) - in between those I got swapped between that village and city with another bigger city I later moved to and another even bigger city I now reside in -, then moved back into a village, then moved into a small town, then moved into a big city (250.000) then moved into a small town, then another small town again, then back to the previous small town, then another small town (all these small towns had 20.000 to 50.000 inhabitants), then moved again to another small town (where a fourth of the population were students) and arrived in the big city five years ago (where I moved again several times in and out of) with almost 4 million people polluting the streets.
    All in all I moved 19 times since my birth almost 30 years ago and I started to like the smaller sized inhabitation zones, though I don't know if I could live in a village again. But a big city like I currently live in seems to be not my thing, except London maybe, or other cities I haven't moved to yet. Still time.

Be glad you don't live in Siberia then, you would be drunk eight months a year and fat like that cow who looked at you last year when you drove by that field near NSfW.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^^ check your PM, i think we have spammed this thread enough ;)

goodluck LSJ!