Processor vs SSD From Apple Question.. Please help I have searched everywhere!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharkzfanz, Feb 28, 2010.

1. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

Hey everyone.. I have been doing lots of searching the past 2 days and need one bit of help.. I am ordering a CTO MPB and want opinions.

I had a thread about what was better upgrading to 3.06ghz from 2.8ghz or getting a 128GB SSD. Well since I do not need more then 50GB of space it seems the over whelming decision is SSD!!

Here is my question though and why I have new thread:

With my developer discount I can get the 128GB from Apple for $160. Since any 128GB SSD if I do it myself would be at least double or more I am going to get it from Apple since money is an issue.

How bad exactly is the Apple (Samsung) one... Am I better just with the standard 320GB 7200RPM from apple or will I see a difference with the 128SSD from apple... Basically is it worth the $160.

I know lost say get intel and I will eventually but want to make the right choice now and this is the only thing I need help with.

Thanks I really hope I can get some input from people who know...

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

The Apple SSD is faster than a hard drive but if money is an issue save your money and then in a month or two buy an intel drive. The Apple SSD while faster than a HDD isn't a good ssd and will degrade its speed with time. I don't know how the extra couple hundred to buy an intel drive is an issue when you are probobly dropping over 2000 on the laptop anyway but thats ok.

3. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Im dropping $400 on a $2800 MBP.. For story check arrandal thread.. Nothing special.

4. Grimmeh macrumors member

It's absolutely worth it. The Apple one is just as good as any other SSD. I paid $400 for mine and I think it was worth every penny. I'd kill if I could've gotten it for $160.

5. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know... Its hard to justify $450 for 160GB intel SSD or event $265 for 80GB SSD but well see.

Everyone says Apple over priced but since I can get it CTO for $160 seems like a good deal.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The*Intel*G2s*are*much*better.*Don't*get*the*Apple*one.

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

You get what you pay for. and it is a damn good deal and you probably won't be able to beat it for at least a year. It will be much faster than the HDD in some tasks, but not dramatically so in others. Don't forget other benefits like the almost infinite shock resistance and lower power draw.

To combat the total lack of TRIM and any intelligent management by the controller, I would research a little about how to fully reset the SSD to factory state (just reformatting isn't necessarily enough) and do this every 6 months.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Its not even that good of a deal. It's only $200 normally. So your getting the 20% ADC discount on it. $200-$160. $40, not a big deal. Plus, the SSD sucks. Did when it came out, still does. Intel is where it at. Anything with an Indilinx, SandForce or Marvell controller beats it as well, eyes closed.

9. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Since OSX doesn't support TRIM (from what I understand), is this maintenance you mention of having to do every 6 months the only way to resolve eventual SSD performance degradation? And can performance be fully revived without TRIM?

10. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No it isn't. You, just like the OP clearly know nothing about SSDs. The intel out performs the Samsung hands down.
    No it's not. I don't pay for crap when there a better replacement out there.

If this is the same guy then in his other thread I believe he was linked this article which he failed to read.

OP if you need this much hand holding over an SSD get the Samsung as you're likely never going to know how craptastic it is compared to Intels. Also, you didn't need another thread if you do have two and no, you didn't search ... not even a little. :rolleyes:

12. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying the intel is the best out there in the entire market? Nothing better for say $1000 or $2000 or $3000 why not get that? Just noting there is almost always something better.....

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

For the price/GB the Intels do pretty well..

14. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

Unless I see something before I order it to change my mind I am going with the 160GB G2 Intel SSD for $429.99 OEM

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The Samsung SSD gets worst over-time, and doesn't get back to factory speeds with a reinstall. However, the Intel SSD's are proven to be the BEST SSD's - now, and tomorrow.

16. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

hey shark, why dont you wait for updates? There might be better or cheaper ssd coming, maybe even in standard configuration.

17. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

I am waiting til about the 16th then I need to get one..

Just want to be ready....

18. mastercool10 macrumors member