Processor whine with Penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rezonat0r, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

For those that have Penryn systems, has anyone noticed any processor whine? I am talking about the high pitched screeching that occurs when the processor goes into 'idle' (S4) mode, and which stops momentarily when you perform an action (like disk activity, scrolling a webpage, etc). This has been a problem going back to, at least, the original Centrino (Pentium M) chipset, and maybe before that. I'm hoping these lower power, less leakage-prone hafnium-powered Penryn's won't suffer from this sound.

Please don't respond if you've never heard this sound before, as you'd be unlikely to notice it by now.

2. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm going to assume that no news is good news. :D

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Are you expecting this problem on the Penryns? I thought this had been fixed with the third-gen MBPs...

4. GirthP macrumors regular

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

What, whining? Nah, his post didn't start with "I bought a Macbook on the 17th..."

6. GirthP macrumors regular

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even the previous model mbp's if your in a absolutely silent room and put your ear next to the top portion above the keyboard, you will hear the whine noise.

8. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

Right... I know these new Penryns are supposed to have less electrical leakage, although I don't know if that is the source of the sound, it seems plausible. I'll be getting two new MBPs this month so I will post what I find.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is always very bothersome as i always use my laptop with my head resting on the keyboard

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My macbook pro was delivered this morning. I'm out on business though so when I get back on wednesday, i'll check it out. I have a gen1 macbook so I know what you mean about the "whine"

11. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

:p

Yeah, my 1st gen MBP was the worst. I'd say the whine volume on my 2nd gen is about half that. Still noticeable in a quiet room unfortunately. Keep us posted!

12. brikro macrumors member

13. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

its probably the small fan on the processor. many active cooling northbridge fans are like this in desktops.

14. brikro macrumors member

15. brikro macrumors member