Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SantaClause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I've been trying to decide between an imac and a mini since the imac annoucnement and someone recently told me that there are different processor series used in imacs vs those in the minis. As he was explaining it, it quickly got over my head but it had something to do with heat consumption I believe.

Anyway, my question is, is it safe to assume that I can't just directly compare the advertised stats of the processors to know which one is faster?

More specifically, will the 2.7 i5 quad core in the new imac be much faster than the 2.6 i7 quad core in the mini?

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
More specifically, will the 2.7 i5 quad core in the new imac be much faster than the 2.6 i7 quad core in the mini?

I think the answer really depends on what apps you are using and if they can make use of hyperthreading in the i7. Also the turbo mode on the i7 is faster... My gut tells me the top of the line BTO mini (2.6 i7 $899) will beat the entry 21.5" iMac (2.7 i5 $1299)... Unless the GPU comes into play where the iMac's dedicated GPU should beat the Mini's integrated graphics...

SantaClause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I think the answer really depends on what apps you are using and if they can make use of hyperthreading in the i7. Also the turbo mode on the i7 is faster... My gut tells me the top of the line BTO mini (2.6 i7 $899) will beat the entry 21.5" iMac (2.7 i5 $1299)... Unless the GPU comes into play where the iMac's dedicated GPU should beat the Mini's integrated graphics...

I will mainly be using Pro Tools for audio production and am not really concerned about anything graphics related as long as I can see what I'm doing. I'm starting to think that $900 mini is the way to go for me as all of interfaces and hard drives are firewire and I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse - just need to pick up a secondary monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.