Processors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by D4F, Apr 9, 2008.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

Hey all.
    I have a question as I am about to buy a MAC PRO.
    If I choose to go with single 2.8 quad will I be able to add another processor or the MB with MP will need to be updated aswell?
    I just don't have enough $$ for it all as the 8800GT is a must for me at this point.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I would reevaluate how much of a must it is to get the 8800GT. It would be much easier and cheaper to purchase an eight core now and upgrade the video card at a later date.

3. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F

So I can not add a processor at a later date?

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

What are you planning on doing with the graphics card? If your gaming then the 8800 is better, but if you look on barefeats and the other thread on here then the ATI 2600 is better for other things. Why is the 8800 a must?

And it is harder to upgrade the CPU at a later date. I would take the 8 core/2600 and purchase some third party ram, then upgrade to the 8800 if you need to at a later date.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I never said that. Yes you can add a processor but what you may have trouble finding is a heatsink. It is also work mentioning that the processors need to be matched pairs so you have to replace both processors to upgrade.

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

You would have to have a matching cpu in the future and I think there is the issue of getting the correct Apple heat sink.

7. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F

Thx for the replies.
    I need the 8800GT for graphics. No gaming at all.
    Vue, Poser, Shade have better efficiency with nVidia chips from what I have read.

Tuff choice to make I guess