ProClip and iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Links77, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Links77 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the ProClip car mount for the iPhone will also fit the iPhone 3G?

I know there's only a tiny difference in width (61mm changing to 62.1mm) but is this enough to mean I will need a different attachment?

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks!

2. Links77 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Answer!

I found the answer to my own question, direct from ProClipUSA.

This is what they had to say:

We have designed our holders for the current model of the iPhone to fit within 1/10th of one millimeter. The new iPhone 3G is 1.1 mm wider and .3 mm thicker than the 1st Gen. iPhone. We will most likely need to design a new set of holders, but we will not know for sure until we receive the new iPhone 3G for testing. We do not receive advanced devices from Apple, so we will have to wait until July 11th. We will contact you by email when we have holders available.

Guess I'm going to have to wait to get my car mount, unless anyone can suggest a decent alternative?

3. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

well that answers my question!

glad i had a quick search on here before clicking the purchase button :eek:

4. theotherrogue macrumors regular

I just use one of these universal Arkon mounts:
    http://www.arkon.com/pdamount.php

I've used the same one for my 3G iPod, 5G iPod, and soon for my iPhone 3G. :) Never had to change a thing because it uses adjustable padded sides. The most versatile mount in the world! Looks nice too.

5. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

hmm, looks like the one i currently use for my iPod Classic.

Those grill attachments are an effin nightmare for me.

Gonna hold out for a pro-clip.

Thanks for the info though :)

6. stiggypop macrumors newbie

stiggypop

7. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

thats the one mentioned above ^^^

Sounds to me like it would fit, but not perfectly. And if you get the one thats designed for an iPhone wrapped in a skin there is bound to be some room

8. stiggypop macrumors newbie

stiggypop

Just had this response:

9. chiatello macrumors newbie

The Real Answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should ask, I'm currently trying to rig my ProClip to fit my new iPhone 3G. The clip worked beautifully with my first generation iPhone. While I was able to JAM the new one in, it's not worth the risk and actually left what I thought were scratches on the sides of the phone (though they buffed off easily). It's better to wait. It looks like I'm getting somewhere by simply sanding the inside of the clip but with that I'm also sanding off the velvet-type material that protects the phone. It seems that that slight width enhancement is the problem, rather than the thickness as the edges are tapered and the bulbous portion of the back of the 3G is actually not touching anything. FYI I'm using the whole 9 yards padded, tilt/ swivel with charger built in model. Its clearly the best mounting system on the market and looks awesome on my dash. But that's your true TESTED answer.

10. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

many thanks for that. :)

think im gonna hold tight for the "official" 3G one

11. chiatello macrumors newbie

Update

No problem. So I finished re-shaping my ProClip and it works pretty well. I actually had to scrape quite a bit of plastic out with a flathead screwdriver then sanded it down. Then (shhhhhh) used my girlfriend's "nail buff board" to polish the sanded area and it worked GREAT! Fits the 3G perfectly, no scratches, no worries. That being said, wait for the REAL 3G ProClip.

12. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

I have the original ProClip for the iPhone and emailed them about the new 3g phone. Haven't heard back yet. Trying to put the new 3g phone in the old clip is a hassle and as mentioned above, you feel as if you are trying to shove the thing into the clip. Not a good idea.

I'm sure ProClip will update their product soon enough. Just want to make sure I get one of the first batches... :D

13. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

got an email from them yesterday - End of August.

14. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

15. SpyderDriver macrumors newbie

I am currently using their iPod 5th Generation 30GB Video cradle. It is a cradle that was designed for the 5th gen iPod video and has a port in the bottom to allow you to plug in whatever docking cable you want. It was all that was available when the 1st iPhone came out and it worked great. I got my new 3G iPhone the other day and I think it fits better in this cradle than my first iPhone did. The only issue I have is that my factory stereo to iPhone device no longer charges but that isn't Proclip's fault. I will change out the cable/device as soon as that is worked out.

Anyway, I thought I would let those of you know that it fits great if you don't want to wait on a new clip to be manufactured. Oh, and my phone is naked. If you have a case, you will have to try something else.

16. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

thats interesting, i wonder how much cheaper they are :D

i wish they would hurry up and put the 3G clip up, im sick to death of the absymal one i currently have that hangs over my stereo. :mad:

the proclip will fit nice n snug to the top left of my steering wheel. :)

17. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

18. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

19. Hicksville macrumors newbie

Brodit / ProClip does not seem keen on marketing a holder with integral power supply for the iPhone; unlike offerings for the majority of other devices.

Does anybody know how to attach power permanently to the new 3G holder? The concept should be the same as for the 1st gen iPhone.

20. schubes macrumors regular

schubes

I'd love for them to change their mind on that

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I just ordered the new 3G one, I have been using their ADJUSTABLE width mount with the iPhone in a Griffen case (it's too wide for the "naked" 3G").

Anyone want to buy my adjustable device holder?

22. iPhonerGuy macrumors newbie

Charging coming soon!

ProClip will be releasing a holder with cigarette lighter charging cable built in AND a holder with pass-through connection. This will allow you to use any cable you currently have for the iPhone 3G with the holder.

They said this would come out in September. Hang in there, guys.

23. sirlylos macrumors newbie

I've just a aquired a car that has a brodit mount with a nokia 6310 proclip. Is there an iPhone clip I can get that will allow me to charge the phone and also use the installed mic and speakers?

Cheers in advance.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No, they are not interchangeable.