Procrastination is Me (or spoiled... you choose)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zoedew, Aug 5, 2014.

1. zoedew macrumors newbie

So here is the scoop I have a 17inch personal MacBook Pro 2011 (love it!) and yes, there is a reason I mention this…

My work purchased a 15 inch 2.3 gHz i7 at the beginning of July – (the spoiled part begins) it is still wrapped and unopened (see why I mention my 17”)…. the pain of new hardware….

Here is the question --- is it worth my time to go swap it for the new processor (we work with on-line video / short format) or should I begin setup?

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The 15" is definitely more powerful in every aspect. Easily 20% faster in some tasks. I don't really understand your question. Are you asking whether you should take it out of the box? If you really have to have the 17" screen, which some people do, I guess it might be better to use that instead. The 15" is a significantly more powerful and lighter computer. It has much higher resolution than the 17", so it can scale to the resolution of the 17", but it will be smaller. It is really better in every way except for the screen, which is really subjective.

Matt

3. zoedew thread starter macrumors newbie

Matt --- my question is should I swap the 2.3 i7 for the 2.5 i7; the only thing this has to do with my old mac is my excuse for not unwrapping... :)

4. MacVibe macrumors regular

Is is the same processor family so any gain can be seen with rated speed, so from 2.3 to 2.5 is a 0.2 GHz increase so it is an 8.6% improvement. The new one may have 16 GB versus your 8 GB which is a huge improvement. If Apple let's you swap with no financial penalty then do it; however, since you've had it since early July I don't think they'll let you swap it for free but you can always ask.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can return it at this point, but there is a chance you could upgrade to the new one for free, especially if yours is unopened. If it will cost you to upgrade, it probably is not worth it. Even if you cannot upgrade it, the 2.3 GHz rMBP is much more powerful than your 17".

Matt

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If I was your employer, I wouldn't be very happy about you swapping out your work computer even if you're not spending any money. I mean it's your work computer right? So why bother?

7. zoedew thread starter macrumors newbie

Very helpful! Thank you!!!!

8. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 15" MBP has a better cpu,much better screen and imo a better overall form factor.

I'd use the new one.