Prodecude for downgrading to iOS6 if things don't work?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 7enderbender, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Could anyone post a detailed and easy to understand procedure on how to backup iOS 6 on an iPhone and then how to safely upgrade tomorrow with retaining all data and settings. And how to downgrade again if necessary.

That would be great. Thanks

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you update to iOS 7 tomorrow there is no downgrading to iOS 6.

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

During the restore process Apple checks the version against the servers. Part of the reason you HAVE to have an internet connection.

Once they stop signing 6.1.4 you can't restore it anymore.

4. !GS51! macrumors regular

You could do it, if you save SHSH blobs of you iphone google it and youll find how to downgrade not sure i can discuss the issue here.

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Apple usually keeps signing the old software for at least a few hours (sometimes days) after the new version is released. But, it's a pretty safe bet to say you will be unable to downgrade to iOS 6 after tomorrow evening. If you really think you might want to go back, I would suggest downloading the GM now and trying it out today. iOS 6 definitely won't be an option for much longer.

This is only true if you have an iPhone 4. SHSH hashes are useless for all subsequent devices. I'm not even sure an iPhone 4 can be downgraded this way anymore.

6. pottyvick macrumors regular

Even with the SHSH blobs you cannot downgrade... That is used just in case they find a way now but still no way to actually do it.

7. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

8. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Alright then. Thanks for sharing your insights. Not willing to take the risk of ending up with something that doesn't work the way it does now.

What's the safest way then to prevent the upgrade at least for the time being? Will it keep nagging like the stupid iTunes software does?

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Wait till ios 7.1 or 7.2 release, by then should be fine.

10. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Wait a second: does this also mean that I wouldn't be able to restore my phone even if iOS6 is still on there? Or if there is a need to wipe everything out and start fresh?

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Once Apple stops signing 6.1.4 a restore will download the latest (7.0).
    To play it safe I am freshly installing 6.1.4 right now, today.

When the dust settles and Apple works out the kinks then I may upgrade.
    Until then I simply need things to work without the hassle and/or delays.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can't do a restore within iTunes. You can always do a reset on your iDevice and keep the same iOS version.

13. Altis macrumors 68010

Just curious, why is Apple so dedicated to preventing you from reverting back?

Seems like many people get completely screwed when they upgrade a major version, and reverting would fix it, but instead they have to go out and get a (non-Apple usually) new phone, as the update killed it.

iOS 6 killed my 3GS in a few ways. It was sad, I liked that phone. I hope it doesn't happen again with my 4S.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

They likely don't want to burden of supporting more than just the latest version of the OS. Otherwise they might need to provide extra updates (in particular security related ones) and other support for many of those who might decide for one reason or another to switch to an older version (not to mention that a bunch of issues that people can run into when downgrading and/or upgrading and Apple would need to often provide people with support for those issues).