:) Product Ordering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neowillendit, Feb 28, 2014.

1. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Friends,

I just purchased the MBP 13 Inch (Non-Retina) that is available on apple.com directly. Which version is it as referenced? Mid 2012, Late 2012, Mid 2013, Late 2013???

Thank you Friends:)

2. leman macrumors 604

Always the newest one at the point of purchase (in this case, this would be late 2013)

3. TonyYYZ macrumors member

If OP purchased a non-retina model (as stated in OP's post) then IIRC it is a late 2012 model.

4. leman macrumors 604

Ow, sorry, should have been more attentive! You are right of course. I think it simply didn't occur to me that someone would order a new non-retina model :D

5. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

So kewl, thank you Friends!!

Thank you for the congrats BasicGreatGuy!!

OK so Late 2012, ok great, since I am putting Windows on there also, do I need this BootCamp Driver Package:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

OR THIS ONE:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721 (maybe this one since it references "MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)"

???

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I've never downloaded the support software directly - I always used Boot Camp Assistant to download the proper version to a flash drive, but it seems like you need this version: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

It seems like the way Apple wrote those documents, the software is for all machines except the ones listed at the end, which then links you to the other version which is for all the machines except those. It's a weird way of writing things, but that's how I interpreted it.

Technically you have a Mid-2012 MBP (I know, that makes it sound really old, but it's still comparable with the current Mac mini, and the prior rMBP). It's a nice little computer, and should last you awhile.

Also, off-topic, but are you planning on keeping your old MBP in your signature around? I only ask because I did a RAM and SSD upgrade on one of those for a friend and that made it feel pretty quick for just about everything but the most demanding tasks (even on OS X Mavericks).

7. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Mid 2012, ok kewl!!

Yeah SSD and 8GB RAM upgrade was done a while back and still not quite as capable for my needs unfortunately.

Thank you everyone.

8. accountforit macrumors 6502a

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

If I was buying a macbook now and had a budget of ~$1300 and nothing more, the 13" rMBP's souldered un-upgradeable 4GB of RAM and 128gb SSD would be useless to me. Retina display would have no practical use for my work. So a 13" cMBP works better for some people. Not everyone is willing to give up everything just to have a retina display.

10. accountforit macrumors 6502a

You could also buy the mid line refurb for $1,269. 8gb/256gb/2.4

11. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I think this argument makes total sense - I know the Haswell-based machines do have their benefits, but I think you can stretch a slightly older cMBP for a few more years than a base model rMBP, especially in the RAM and (arguably) storage departments. I really wish Apple had offered the 13" MBA panel on the 13" cMBP, but otherwise am not complaining.

Right now I'm rocking 8GB and a 250GB SSD, but I suspect that in the next 3 or 4 years, I'll be jumping to 16GB and a 500GB (1TB) SSD...

That being said, I didn't want to add any negative fuel to the rMBP/cMBP debate that seems to continue on with the forums, but thought I'd just support this as an option for some cases. For others, I'd easily recommend the rMBP or even MBA.

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

If someone wanted to keep it for a VERY long time they would. A 16Gig of RAM, and 500G/1T SSD 13" cMBP will still be doing pretty darn we'll, compared to a 4gig of RAM, and 128G ssd rMBP that is stuck in time.

13. leman macrumors 604

@Count/@Zeke: I meant that a person on a budget should be looking at a refurbished/used market. $1,199.00 is way too expensive for that machine. Upgrading it with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD comes fairly close to the retina model anyway.

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I advised my sister to get this very model(refurb), last year. She had her prior wintel laptop for 6 years(light user with bad experiences the last 3 years), and wanted a Mac. Since mavericks gave the iGPU 1 gig of ram, this was the only portable that didn't cost 3X+ what a wintel box would and could last as long as she desired - 6+ years. It was, is and will remain the ultimate machine for a light user, who wants the thing to last a long time.

15. leman macrumors 604

And I agree with you (even though personally I think that a Macbook Air offers more value for money). However, I still insist that $1199 is too much - for $799 or less its a decent computer. That's why I mentioned refurb or used.

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Agreed.

But given the requirement of having the computer last a long time, the cMBP wins hands down. And that was my angle on all of this. I am very cost conscious, so the anti-consumer moves by apple in making disposable computers is amazingly disappointing. So if you plan on keeping a mac for 2-3 years, then reselling it to recoup some money to put into a new mac, then there are better bangs for the buck.

17. TechZeke, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I agree on the macbook air being the best low-end macbook right now, though I disagree somewhat on the rest of the statement.

I agree that $1200 is a bit much, but $800 is a bit extreme, especially when performance wise it's nearly identical with the Haswells. If you can get it for $1k-$1100 I think it's still a great buy. People value different things.

Also, what refurbs? The last time I checked there were no mid-line 13" rMBP refurbs. These (understandably) must be selling quite fast, so unless you are lucky this isn't much of an option.

18. leman macrumors 604

Its not only performance, it is also weight/battery life/display quality. $1200+$200 (for a 256GB SSD) is only $100 below the mid-range rMBP config. I do not consider this a great but at all - with all the mobility/real screen estate you sacrifice, the cost savings should be greater (IMO of course). And - I believe that it makes sense to compare these products to their alternatives on the market. $1200 for a relatively heavy 13" machine with no remarkable features is not a good price nowadays. Again, this is only my personal opinion, everyone's use and expectations differ.