Product (RED) and New iPhone? Idea!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Jun 1, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

So I was just thinking that with the speculation that iPhone will come in Red there could be something up Apple's sleeve that would make this a big hit. What if they not only provided part of the sale for the iPhone to Product (RED), but also part of the monthly fee that you pay for your cell bill (all carriers donate).

Wouldn't that make this a huge hit?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. frosse macrumors 6502a

I have no idea of how successful Product (RED) has been in the past but I guess its quite possible that the new iphone will feature the (RED) brand.

4. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Unless Apple does it from their cut (even if very small in the pennies range). I think this would help drive even more ridiculous sales of iPhone.

I didn't think Product (RED) was considered charity. Also, if all other carriers around the world did this would AT&T have an option?

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Ew. I hope apple does not change the color of the iphone. I think those pics of the "leaked" iphones are pretty horrible. Black/aluminum is the only way to go.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I laughed.

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I don't think that they would do this just because this does not seem to be very popular. If you look on ebay and such, you rarely ever see a product (RED) iPod. I have never even seen one in real life after I think about it.

8. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

a friend of mine bought a red ipod due to its color... nothing more

9. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's incredibly unsuccessful.

In its first year of existence, participating companies spent $100 million on advertising their (RED) products. Those companies raised just $25 million with Product(RED) sales in that first year.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Most likely, those companies would have spent that 100M on ads anyway.

This way, 25M went to help people.

12. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Wow what a failure. These companies spent money on advertising as they normally do and gave $25 million to charity.

13. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

In 2001 and 2002, AT&T's total contributions (including cash contributions and product donations) amounted to nearly $150 million. The AT&T Foundation contributed more than $85 million of this total. The rest came in the form of direct contributions and product donations from AT&T business units and divisions. In addition, tens of thousands of AT&T employees and retirees contributed their volunteer efforts to charitable organizations in their local communities.

14. neven macrumors 6502a

This might be news to people who run their AT&T Aspire program, a $100 million grant program for high school kids. This is just one of their corporate charitable programs. You won't have any problem learning about all of them if you google "AT&T Foundation".

Perhaps they're doing this for selfish reasons. Perhaps they could be doing more. But let's not get childish about whether large companies donate to charitable causes - they almost all do.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They didn't spend money as they normally do. They spent an extra $100 million specifically on the Red campaigns. It's nothing more than a beauty pageant for companies involved to convince people they care.

If they really cared, they'd donate money out of their pockets, not $10 every time they make $200 off a consumer.

16. bmh16 macrumors regular

And i did :D

17. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Actually the trio I saw today including red and white looked hot.

18. rowensiv macrumors member

its a great idea, and i could see them doing it. maybe thats because i'm interested in something different colorwise without having to pay a whole lot more...

19. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

personally i would love to see Apple introduce a (Product)RED iPhone and i would buy on in a heartbeat. not only does it support a good cause, but i really like the color, which is why i haver the iPod Nano (Product)RED, not just one or the other. :)

20. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I bet we have different colors to pick from. I am going to guess white, black, red. This is only because of the information that has leaked so far. Plus Red is a popular color. Now will it be related to (RED) who knows.

21. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

22. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

You're quoting a Reclaim the Media article which in and of itself is wrong, not surprising given the source is an anti-capitalist propaganda machine.

23. elbirth macrumors 65816

Assuming there is a red iPhone, and if the pictures we've seen by some chance do turn out to be real, I don't think it really has anything to do with product red. That picture looks more like a burgundy color than a deep red like the product (RED) iPods have. There are several PDAs that come in black, silver, or red (I think maybe the Blackberries at least?)... so it could just be Apple trying to provide similar color schemes.

But of course, who knows....

24. frosse macrumors 6502a

I think that IF there's a red iphone, its definitely a (Product) RED branding involved.

25. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I have a (Product)RED iPod (3rd Gen). It certainly is not a deep red. The 2nd Gen iPod Nano which was (Product)RED is definitely a deeper red.
    I agree with frosse, that if there is a red iPhone it will be involved with (Product)RED branding.

Attached Files: