Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I grabbed the new Product Red Nano last night at the Apple Store (Westfarms, CT), but am quite concerned about scratch protection. Is the Invisible Shield still a good look for the aluminum finish? I don't remember the iPod Mini's being scratch-prone, but I do want to know whether or not

A) It's necessary AND

B) If it looks "good."

Any one have this same dilemma or know of any review sites that have reviewed the Invisible Shield for the 2nd Gen Nano?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
iLounge has a review of it here.
I have used my black 8GB nano for about a week now, without a case, or any other form pf protection, and there are absolutly no scratches on it at all. Though, I have made sure that it has been in a pocket of its own, at all times. So, I do not really think an Invisible Shield is neccassery with an aluminium-bodied iPod, unless, you will be putting it in the same pocket as your keys, or anything like that.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
maybe an iPod sock would be a better fit than the plastic cover. keeps it separated from everything else in your pockets and offers some protection. i don't think the new ones need that much protection because of their finish; you're right - the iPod minis do not scratch easily.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I don't think it is necessary. The only thing that will scratch the aluminum to a noticeable degree is a catastrophic event. Like dropping it on the ground or anything like that.

It wont scratch just by breathing like the old nano.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
suneohair said:
I don't think it is necessary. The only thing that will scratch the aluminum to a noticeable degree is a catastrophic event. Like dropping it on the ground or anything like that.

It wont scratch just by breathing like the old nano.

Exactly.
My silver nano looks brand new and it just goes into an iPod sock to keep it apart from the keys and coins I normally have in my pockets.
Not a scratch.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
pianoman said:
maybe an iPod sock would be a better fit than the plastic cover. keeps it separated from everything else in your pockets and offers some protection. i don't think the new ones need that much protection because of their finish; you're right - the iPod minis do not scratch easily.
I was gonna suggest that too. The new nano does not scratch too easily but you will still want some protection. With a sock, you can keep the beauty of the red, the size and have an extra layer of protection on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.