Production artist to Designer?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ac6789, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ac6789 macrumors member

Hi all,

I was wondering if any designers here started out as a production artist then went on to become a designer.

I'm curious because I'm currently employed as a freelance production artist doing "copy & paste" work (I'm not enjoying it). The pay is good but I want to return to my first love of creative design. This is what I studied at University and did for a year before the agency went belly-up. Ever since then getting another design job has been hard and my portfolio isn't exactly a design portfolio anymore. I orginally went into production to "pay the bills" and was always supposed to be temporary. :(

Now I'm stuck in this type of position, so any ideas on how to go from production back to designer? I've heard of people doing this but I just don't see how. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

P.S. I've been doing freelance design work to update my portfolio but it's not quite the same.

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Firstly, do your current job well. You can benefit from the reputation and possible recommendation if necessary.

Talk to your employer about your goals. Perhaps you may be included in a future design task. If there is no design work to be done in your current employment, gain as much experience as you can before looking elsewhere.

Good production work supported by great freelance design work and your education should get you where you want to go.