Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
SSDs still need to get cheaper before I plunk down money on a MBA. The capacities need to increase too. Ah..maybe a few years from now.

bredlo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2003
Chicagoland
Love the style and miniaturization being tested out in the Air line. I'd never seriously consider one though unless they made a 15" version. I've been buying mid-size Mac laptops forever, going back to the 14" Wallstreet.

With my need for real estate (graphics and video editing) and limited use of optical drives and lots of I/O ports on a daily basis, that thin form factor and big screen would be just perfect for me.

Think it over Apple - thinner is better, but so is bigger!

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
I think the building consensus is that PC gaming is wearing. Intel's graphic chip shouldn't detour many with the much improved CPU to boot. I'm totally happy I skipped the 2010 refresh.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I've been debating whether to get the iPad 2 or a 11.6" MBA. I currently own the original iPad but thought I would invest a little more and get a nice MBA instead of the iPad 2. I hope they add illuminated keyboards along with this upgrade.

apeman88

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
Mixed feeling on this update...

Pro: The Sandy Bridge 13" MBA is the machine I have been waiting for...

Con: I am going to spend ~$2000 within a couple days of its release...

;)

Love the style and miniaturization being tested out in the Air line. I'd never seriously consider one though unless they made a 15" version. I've been buying mid-size Mac laptops forever, going back to the 14" Wallstreet.

With my need for real estate (graphics and video editing) and limited use of optical drives and lots of I/O ports on a daily basis, that thin form factor and big screen would be just perfect for me.

Think it over Apple - thinner is better, but so is bigger!

Yep, my dream machine would be a redesigned MBP with a .75 inch thick body, no optical drive, dual storage drives (SSD BLADE + HDD), Ivy bridge, HD 6950m (equivalent) 2GB VRAM, and a 1200p 16:10 screen @ 15inches. Of course with all the standard Apple hoo ha (TB, HD Facetime...etc). And the battery life of R2D2.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Late 2010 - Weak processor, decent GPU
Mid 2011 - Stronger processor, slightly worse GPU than before
2012 - Stronger in every category

davidw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
New York City
Ooh, I wonder what the other upgrades will be. Macbook Airs are becoming really awesome notebooks. Hopefully it someday takes over the macbook. iPad <Macbook (Air) < Macbook Pro < iMac < Mac Pro

That's what's going to happen, I'm sure of it. And I'm honestly kind of impressed that the MacBook Pro still doesn't give you an option to buy one without a DVD drive; I have a 2011 MBP and I swear, it doesn't get any use whatsoever. Apple's obsession with using every square millimeter of space on a portable device apparently ends when it comes to optical disk drives on MBPs.

I'd much rather have additional battery life. QC i7s eat battery for breakfast, even Sandy Bridge.

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on the 11' something holds me back :D

I don't really need one but I sure want one

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I think the building consensus is that PC gaming is wearing. Intel's graphic chip shouldn't detour many with the much improved CPU to boot. I'm totally happy I skipped the 2010 refresh.

PC gaming corners you into a constant cycle of bleeding your checking account dry; console gaming is infinitely more cost-effective. Once you start to appreciate this dynamic, you'll find yourself upgrading all your toys a lot less often and having money to take vacations and such :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why would you think that? The Intel IGP can drive the same resolution on the 15" just fine.

My Matrox G200 AGP 4x card can drive these resolutions flawlessly, and it has only 8 MB of RAM and hails from 10 years ago. People seriously don't understand graphics performance and where it matters if they really think driving a framebuffer resolution is something we need modern hardware for.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And I'm honestly kind of impressed that the MacBook Pro still doesn't give you an option to buy one without a DVD drive; I have a 2011 MBP and I swear, it doesn't get any use whatsoever. Apple's obsession with using every square millimeter of space on a portable device apparently ends when it comes to optical disk drives on MBPs.

It doesn't happen because what they should really be putting is Blu-Ray.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Awesome. I want a current MBA, but they're a tad too much right now. This will lower those prices.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Late 2010 - Weak processor, decent GPU
Mid 2011 - Stronger processor, slightly worse GPU than before
2012 - Stronger in every category

Well its well known with Apple hardware to never buy the first generation of any new platform. The current MBA were a significant enough change from the previous to be known as a gen 1 all over again. Especially when we knew SB was around the corner. Still they are great as is.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is this a true statement from the OP: "But with new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel sporting improved graphics performance"

Improved when compared to the old Intel Integrated Graphics.

then why did apple cripple the 13" macbook pro's with ****** resolution then?

The resolution stayed the same on the 13" Pro. The 13" Air has a higher resolution, but perhaps that's to preserve a selling point. I don't think the Sandy Bridge IGP would have any difficulty driving the 1440x900 display.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Something that was highlighted to me the other day is that 'apple staff can not book holiday on the 20th/21st/22nd May to mark the 10th anniversary of Apple Retail Stores.'

So, likelihood of MBA and iMac updates available for that weekend maybe?

Still, I have a 13.3 MBA ultimate, and yes I do game on it regularly - in a casual manner. I would hate to lose that ability - it somewhat loses plausibility as a laptop worth £1500! If I really want to game I would use a desktop, but a real leader in it's field, should have the ability to do everything at a reasonable level!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.