Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Panel production on the larger-screened 15-inch MacBook Air started in February and increased in March, with another ramp up planned for April, respected display analyst Ross Young said today in a tweet shared with subscribers. With production underway, Young said that he doesn't know the "precise launch timing" but assumes that it could happen in "late April/early May."

m2-macbook-air-pink.jpg

Young previously suggested that the 15-inch MacBook Air could launch in April, but his estimated launch timeline may be a little too early. At this point, it looks like a spring Apple event is not going to happen, and it seems unlikely that Apple would introduce a new iteration of the MacBook Air via press release.

With WWDC coming in less than two months, it perhaps makes the most sense for Apple to introduce the 15-inch MacBook Air at the Worldwide Developers Keynote on June 5, with a launch following shortly thereafter in June.

Either way, it sounds like a larger MacBook Air is coming in the first half of the year, with the machine set to join the 13.6-inch version. Rumors suggest that the MacBook Air could feature a 15.5-inch display, which would make it around the size of the now-discontinued 15.4-inch MacBook Pro. It would be sized between the 13.6-inch MacBook Air and the 16-inch MacBook Pro, giving those who want a slimmer, lighter, and more affordable machine with a larger display size an option that is not a "Pro" notebook.

Design wise, the 15-inch MacBook Air is expected to feature the same design as the current M2 model, which could also see a refresh alongside the new 15-inch version. Exactly which chip the MacBook Air will use remains to be seen, but it could include the current-generation M2 and M2 Pro chips, or the M3 chip series, if it is ready for launch by WWDC.

More information on Apple's plans for the 15-inch MacBook Air can be found in our 15-inch MacBook Air guide.

Article Link: Production of 15-Inch MacBook Air Components Underway, WWDC Launch Looking Likely

Last edited:

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I'm glad that Apple is moving away from "large = Pro". With larger phones much more popular than smaller ones, it's clear that some people want more screen real estate but don't need all the higher-end internals.
I was about to say that Apple was blurring the lines between the MBP and MBA product lines, but your point has made me reconsider. My parents and in-laws could definitely use a 15" air.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Doesn't make sense for Apple announcing the new MacBook Air + Apple AR/VR headset at the same event.

Not to mention the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is still MIA.

But at this point I don't know what the hell they're doing anymore so screw it, WWDC isn't for developers anymore it's just New Mac day

Well at least I actually love Macs so good for me...I guess?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
With production underway, Young said that he doesn't know the "precise launch timing" but assumes that it could happen in "late April/early May."

[ . . . ]

With WWDC coming in less than two months, it perhaps makes the most sense for Apple to introduce the 15-inch MacBook Air at the Worldwide Developers Keynote on June 5, with a launch following shortly thereafter in June.
I think an early summer release for 15" MacBook Air. Just in time for Apple's back-to-school promo too.

Everybody seems to be excited about this but you'll be probably better off just buying a MBP 14 inch once the pricing and specs come out.
Why is that tho? MacBook Air is thin, compact, and extremely lightweight. Bonus: It comes in different colors. I hate the fact MBP is too heavy and it’s not a good companion for traveling purposes.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Why is that tho? MacBook Air is thin, compact, and extremely lightweight. I hate the fact MBP is too heavy and it’s not a good companion for traveling purposes.
13" MBA is 2.7 pounds (1.24 kg)
14" MBP (M2 Pro) is 3.5 pounds (1.60 kg)
16" MBP (M2 Pro) is 4.7 pounds 2.15 kg)

A 15" MBA will weigh just as much as a 14" MBP (M2 Pro), or slightly more. And dimensions will be bigger.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Doesn't make sense for Apple announcing the new MacBook Air + Apple AR/VR headset at the same event.

Apple does not have to actually spend KeyNote time announcing it, unless it comes with M3, which would warrant keynote time and then the "Air Pair" would be part of the M3 announcement.

If it has an M2, they could announce it via Press Release immediately after the keynote ends and then have it in the Hands On area afterwards for the press to look at.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
No way Apple releasing M2 Air again. I think it will either be M2s or M3 MacBook Air. I find it hard to believe Apple releasing the same Mac with the same chip.

It is a bit odd to wait a year to release this product. Maybe it just wasn't ready last year for supply reasons. If so, then it does seem unlikely to introduce a new product a year later with the same chip. Might as well wait for M3 then.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'm excited but it's probably going to end up way expensive. In Canada the M2 MacBook Air is $1,499.00 CAD, so I'd imagine at least $1,799.00 CAD. That's with 8/256. That's still quite a bit less than the 14" Pro though, which starts at $2,599.00 CAD.

My company and pretty much everyone I know are still buying the M1 version, which is $1,299.99 CAD.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It is a bit odd to wait a year to release this product. Maybe it just wasn't ready last year for supply reasons. If so, then it does seem unlikely to introduce a new product a year later with the same chip. Might as well wait for M3 then.

My guess is Apple wanted the M2 MacBook Pro 14" and 16" out first before the released a MacBook Air model sized between them (even if it lacks many of the features of the MacBook Pro family).

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
"A 15" MBA will weigh just as much as a 14" MBP (M2 Pro)"

Same weight, more screen area. Perhaps less expense. I need/want a notebook I can usefully have several spreadsheets open on at the same time. That requires a larger screen, not faster internals. I would bet 95%+ of all Mac users do not need a MacBook Pro's internals (that might increase if there were a gaming use case for Mac). Light coding (if any), spreadsheets, word processing, FaceTime, web use, email, casual gaming, light video/photo editing, and watching videos are the 95% use case and are easily covered by even an M1 chip. What they need is not more powerful processors, but bigger screens to do it all on.

If you need, or even just want, more powerful processors you should get that too. But not every new device size needs an updated processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.