Production plant and defects

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dantay, Jul 23, 2008.

?

Does your iPhone have quality issues?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2009.
  1. Plant 88 - No problems

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Plant 88 - 1 or more problems (please post explanation)

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Plant 85 - No problems

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Plant 85 - 1 or more problems (please post explanation)

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

I just thought i'd post my own findings with regard to the inconsistencies I have found with the build quality of the new iPhone.
    I returned my 8gig iPhone to my local apple store yesterday for the issue of negative blacks.
    I decided also to change to a 16gig white model as this was the model I had originally wanted (but due to lack of stock was unable to get).
    I opened the first unit and notice straight away dust under the glass and also the screen glass was proud of the bezel at the top (earpiece end) and very recessed at the other, the case was also proud of the bezel all the way round and the power button was nearly inside the case! I rejected it and unit 2 was produced.....this one was more or less the same with the added bonus of glue in one corner! Both of the first 2 units had serial numbers starting 88. The 3rd unit was collected from the stock room and was "from a different batch" and this one's serial number starts 85 and is a week 28 (July) as were the first 2 faulty units. The 3rd unit was and is night and day different to the other 2 and has no flaws that I can see....just as it should be everything flush, tight and dust free. As I said previously I had a black 8gig this too was loads better than the first black unit I had....the first of these was 88 and the second 85. The first 2 digits refer to the production plant and my experiance of the 88 plant has been pretty poor. I wondered if anyone else on here has noticed the same? Cheers :D

2. dantay thread starter macrumors regular

dantay

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

My serial number starts with 87...
    How do you know that's the plant #?

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

5. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

My serial number starts 88 and I have a slight problem - one side of the case bows out slightly, so its not entirely flush with the chrome bezel.

Apart from that it's in tip-top condition. :)

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

7. Alloye macrumors 6502a

8. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Well, I have an 86 LOL so I think the variance in serial numbers just shot that factory theory out the window. No defects here either. :D

9. Azaka macrumors newbie

Got a serial starting with 88 and my volume up button is sunken in, it still works though :(

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

11. dantay thread starter macrumors regular

dantay

LOL!
    Well where is the production plant then? I just used the german chipmunk serial number site: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

All I have seen myself is 88/85 start numbers.....maybe someone on here can enlighten us all :D

12. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

13. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

This poll is so flawed it's basically useless. A "problem" is completely subjective and arbitrary from one person to the next. Remember the guy who exchanged six iPhones for problems like "speck of dust?" (whoops, sorry OP). 'Nuff said. Secondly, those who have problems are more likely to complain about them or answer the survey. Third, the whole "plant number" theory seems to be in serious question.
    But aside from that's it's great.

14. dantay thread starter macrumors regular

dantay

I agree with what your saying to an extent.....however its still good that people coment with there serial number details and related problems or lack of them. Do you own an iPhone? Work for apple? I notice your a very new member :rolleyes:

15. megax macrumors member

83.... 2 dead pixels but im waiting it out till the iskin Revo 3G decides to come out and ill go and get a new one

16. everlast77 macrumors regular

17. eyephone macrumors member

86 here.

Besides a little light bleed from where the screen meets the chrome bezel, no real problems.

Recently I have been experiencing some "call failed" problems, but I think this problem is with AT&T.

18. SimplyBlue macrumors member

85 here and my power button is not aligned properly with the body. One end is more recessed than the other. Guess it's time to make a trip to the Apple store.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

S/N starts with 86 here. No issues.

By the way: all iPhone 3Gs are going to start with an 8, and will do so for a while yet. The first digit of the serial number on all Current Apple Products is the last digit of the year of manufacture, in this case: 2008. The original iPhone started out with 7's, then of course incremented to 8 at the beginning of this year.

The second digit doesn't have to be a number, either. My 1st Gen iPhone (week 29 '07) started with a serial number of 7T.

20. desmoboy macrumors newbie

Serial number beginning 88, white casing was not flush with chrome :( Fixed myself by rubbing down with ultra fine sandpaper, now perfect :)

21. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I thought I was having problems on my 88 phone, but no, it was the headphones. Sound only comes out of 1 earbud if the headphones are in a certain position. I have to jiggle them to get sound to come out of both earbuds.

22. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

85 here and the bezel doesent sit right with the plastic. :( anyone have experience with this? how did you go about telling the apple rep? i guess i would just say that its not sitting right and its annoying me? they prob dont look at it as a big deal.

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

24. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Mine is 85 and is perfect. No flaws whatsoever.

This thread should RIP IMHO. You're not going to draw any conclusions from this.