Productivity apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmetz283, Nov 1, 2012.

1. dmetz283 macrumors member

I am looking for some good free productivity apps for Mac.

One thing I am looking for is an app or service that will lock my MacBook when I need to do something such as homework or take a shower. I would like something that would lock the computer for a certain amount of time and that would give a warring that it is about to lock... Is there an app or service like that???

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

In other words, you want an application that restricts or limits your usage of your computer, thus you spend less time with it doing other things?

There have been many threads asking the same question, always leading to answers like "the only control you can apply is self control" and "any control initiated by you can be circumvented by you".

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set a screen saver with password lock to activate after any period of inactivity, such as taking a shower or doing homework.

System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver (set a time)
    System Preferences > Security > General > Require password after sleep or screen saver begins.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You might like to take a look at Parental Controls as this is built into Mac OSX. You can restrict access to the machine to certain times of the day, or for a maximum amount of time during a day. Parental Controls can be found in System Preferences, under Users and Groups. Select the user and Enable Parental Controls.

These can also be set remotely by your parents, using another Mac.

Parental Controls 01:11:2012 15:42.png

5. dmetz283 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll take a look at it.