Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I have about 20 TextEdit files and other app files open at one time. They're all minimized in a long row in the Dock. Taking up lots of space and distracting.

How do I "minimize" files without them appearing in the Dock? Or how can I hide them? Is the only option to use a separate desktop for the each app? But then every time I want to refer to a file I have to bring back that desktop.

alex.houston

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Indiana
You can minimize windows into the app icon: go to System Preferences > Dock, then make sure the option "Minimize windows into application icon" is checked. To get to a minimized window, control-click (right click) the app in the dock and choose the window you want to work on.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
You can minimize windows into the app icon: go to System Preferences > Dock, then make sure the option "Minimize windows into application icon" is checked. To get to a minimized window, control-click (right click) the app in the dock and choose the window you want to work on.
Thanks. Too bad a hover-over didn't reveal the names.

alex.houston

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Indiana
Yep, it would be nice if hover would work there. I use one of the following two options to make it easier for me to pick a minimized window:
1) With the mouse above the app icon in the dock, do your "App Expose" gesture (System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures); or
2) Use your secondary click gesture on the app icon in the dock ("Secondary click" options under System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click).

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Yeah I just ctrl-click. I really need to work more with Spaces and other macOS features for sanity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.