Products to get in London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Badandy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I'll start this post out with saying, yes, I am a bit superficial. I like material things; I'm a sucker for great looking clothes, I love fast/expensive cars, etc. That being said, I have a question to ask of you all (or at least the MacRumors UK Contingent).

I have the good fortune of being in London for three weeks. I'm starting my second week tomorrow, and want to buy some things to take back home with me for the states. I don't mean a shirt with a red bus on it, I mean things that are rather unique to London. I don't mind whether they are pretentious, but something that will remind me of this amazing city. To be sure, I've made many friends here and am having loads of fun, but I really haven't bought anything that I haven't immediately consumed (food, cell phone minutes...errmm...water).

So, what do you all suggest that I buy before I leave? An idea I've gotten so far is venturing into Soho and looking around at a couple stores that only sell canes and hats. This is the exact kind of suggestions I'm looking for, and any information would be great. Also, I heard there are some wonderful vintage bookstores around the area that carry some wonderful, old books (when they really knew how to bind and publish them). Any info on that would be good, too.

I don't mind too much about the price (within reason), but please don't suggest cars or anything like that.:p. For the purposes of this thread, let's put a limit of 175 pounds.

Thanks everyone!

2. mpw Guest

3. Badandy thread starter macrumors 68040

Badandy

Which is precisely why I'm looking for products that are unique to London/England. Perhaps they're old traditions, or even new products that are very distinctive. I don't mind.

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Could you pick me up a Fulton umbrella please? Mine was stolen. The Open & Close 11. Thanks. :)

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Get a t from the Queens Arms, South Kensington, site of the back-up plan for the London MR gathering.

6. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I bought a Fulton umbrella at Shoppers Drug Mart on the corner of Bay & Charles in Toronto a few months ago? :confused:

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

8. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It's London. Fashion is either 5 years behind or ahead of the US (depending on who you ask) and all the products are made abroad anyways. I'm sure whatever you buy will either be made in Italy or China.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I could probably get you a deal on London bridge,£175 would be O.K. as a start.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You probably already bought something London already, A Travel Card. Pretty cheap and has the date imprinted on it for free as well.

12. thecritix macrumors 6502

In London these days you pay very high amounts for these kind of things because of rich foreigners coming over and pushing up prices but I'd suggest:

Tailor made suit from Saville Row
    A nice map of london? theres a few nice map shops about, something like that.
    Not **** or something thats mass produced.

:)

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Maybe you should take a trip to Harrods. It's probably the most famous shop in England and I'm sure they have some nice English products.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Most of which is, as said before, made in China :p

"I don't mind too much about the price"

In which case, please guinea pig this for me. I'm interested in it but £2200 for a notebook case leads me to look for actual owner experiences before taking the plunge.

[​IMG]
    (www.calderoriginals.com)

They're actually based in Devon but you can order (and apparently demo - I haven't been to the store yet) a Calder Originals carbon-leather notebook case at this shop in Notting Hill Gate.

http://www.billamberg.com/cm/wheretobuy.htm

15. weckart macrumors 68040

16. Apple Architect macrumors regular

great English products

Ok,

Having lived in the US for nearly 4 years if I were in London I would buy.

Marmite.....love it or hate it...

Cadbury Chocolate....much nicer than hersey muck (I know, there are better chocs but for day-to-day)

Twiglets (same as the marmite)

Churches shoes...made to last by craftsmen

BBC dvd's.......just like watching the channel....

a wallet....just so your dollar bills won't fit (they are the wrong shape)

An English dictionary.....go-on, learn to spell.

I am sure more will come to me....

17. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Well I can't find them through a US online shop or anywhere physically. Only place I've bought them before is an umbrella shop in Manhattan (where they cost almost 3 times what they do in London). :p

18. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Hmm, something quintessentially British, cheap, long-lasting and few people have it in America... easy! Go to a big department store and buy yourself a top-of-the line electric kettle!

And to go with it, a supply of decent old Builder's Tea - none of that posh stuff. Make it PG Tips.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

The world's most expensive cup of mediocre starbucks coffee?

20. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Tea... and that's about it.

England is bland and boring.

21. Badandy thread starter macrumors 68040

Badandy

I hope you're joking, this city (London) is one of the (if not the best) places I've ever been. There is so much to do, and I would not describe it as even close to boring.

22. NSNick macrumors regular

23. calculus Guest

calculus

If you're after some nice clothes you could try here

24. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

My Fulton cost around $30 in Manchester. It's fantastic. Keeps you very dry :)

A box of PG tips isn't a bad idea. Alternatively find a really nice tea pot and some good leaves. People mock the UK for their love of tea, but it really is fantastic!