products to protect PB screen when PB is closed?

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
56
0
cleveland
i have the Marware "thing" that lays over the keyboard when i close my PB but was wondering if i should get a cover that covers the whole screen ie: keyboard and trackpad???
 

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
2,076
28
Washington, DC
I always just used a (clean) hankerchief with my iBook. Not very high tech, but I was in Siberia once I realized that there could be problems with the keys and such rubbing the screen when the laptop is closed and didn't have access to a whole variety of solutions. The hankerchief worked fine.
 

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
496
0
i use the Radtech thing linked above. Great cuz it's a gentle lint-free cloth for cleaning the screen as well.
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
The RadTech ScreenSavrz is a great product. Useful to both protect and clean your display. It does not quite cover the entire display, but it does cover the entire keyboard and trackpad area, which is where the dirt and oil deposits are likely to be.
I also have their PowerSleevz for my 15" PB, but I'm a little anal about my kit.
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Radtech ScreensavRz works well for my 12" PB. I was able to close PB with iSkin on the keyboard and ScreensavRz on it. I had a Marware screen protector; but it was too thick to use. I think iSkin and ScreensavRz would be a good combo when you are on the road.
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
I bought my wife a 14" iBook and got her the RadTech screensaver. Pretty neat stuff. Just wish I could get her to use the darn thing :rolleyes: Cheers
 

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2004
137
0
Honolulu
YS2003 said:
Radtech ScreensavRz works well for my 12" PB. I was able to close PB with iSkin on the keyboard and ScreensavRz on it. I had a Marware screen protector; but it was too thick to use.
I had the marware too, didn't like it, too thick and didn't cover the whole screen. I am very happy with my Screensavrz, no more fingerprints on my screen and it's good for wiping the dust off of it.
 

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
1,857
1
Australia
What's the point of covering the entire screen when you close it? I would think the major issue is protecting your screen from the keyboard?
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,245
38
Hmm... I've used the Radtech Screensaverz, had two of em, they are great cloths but you have to center them just right, and they don't cover the whole screen.

I just bought an Acme iCover; don't have it yet, but it looks like a perfect solution!
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Bern said:
What's the point of covering the entire screen when you close it? I would think the major issue is protecting your screen from the keyboard?
Radtech ScreensavRs is large enough to cover most of the screen real estate. It is also good to cover the track pad button (it is raised from PB's chassis) as you are also touching that button along with the keyboard.
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Mechcozmo said:
When your PowerBook is new... that foam thingy?

Works wonders.
I am not sure how durable that thing is as it is just a thin styrofoarm pad. If you on the road and keeping the screen protector in the bag, those folding and unfolding will take tolls on that styroform sheet. But, I am keeping it in the original PB packaging just in case (it comes in handy when I move to a new place and need to put my notebooks in that original boxes for a safe and sound move).
 

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
1,693
27
Northern Ireland
Another vote for Radtech ScreensavRz. Have had my Powerbook since 14th Feb and my screen is mint, not a single mark. I haven't had to clean the screen since I got the PB, and it's soft enough to lightly wipe over the screen to disperse the dust.
 

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
799
41
Hudson Valley NY
As for the styrofoam thingamajig, if you have a sleeve, just put the styrofoam back in the case/sleeve when you take out your PB, that way it stays flat and lasts longer.
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
YS2003 said:
I am not sure how durable that thing is as it is just a thin styrofoarm pad. If you on the road and keeping the screen protector in the bag, those folding and unfolding will take tolls on that styroform sheet. But, I am keeping it in the original PB packaging just in case (it comes in handy when I move to a new place and need to put my notebooks in that original boxes for a safe and sound move).
My aunt has the original 17" PowerBook. Original foam thingy, too. Still works!
 

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
681
58
California
Is this still an issue? I thought apple addressed this and that the new(er) powerbooks no longer have the keys touching the screen.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,245
38
Undecided said:
Is this still an issue? I thought apple addressed this and that the new(er) powerbooks no longer have the keys touching the screen.
Not as much as it used to be, and you may not even notice with gentle use. There's not much Apple can do; this is just one of the consequences of slim laptop design.
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
I second Mechcoszmo's idea

Mechcozmo said:
When your PowerBook is new... that foam thingy?

Works wonders.
The first iBooks had the problem where the keys would actually sully your screen. I hated that. The 800 Mhz and the Rev A 12" PB fixed that. Personally, I see no need to "protect" your screen nowadays.
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Balin64 said:
The first iBooks had the problem where the keys would actually sully your screen. I hated that. The 800 Mhz and the Rev A 12" PB fixed that. Personally, I see no need to "protect" your screen nowadays.
Hence why I suggested that free thing if you want to. I don't, personally. :D