Professional Codecs dropped in iTunes for Lion?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rhkamra, Mar 21, 2012.

1. rhkamra macrumors member

In the past I've been able to queue up an iTunes playlist for screening films at my work with a variety of professional codecs: ProRes, XDCAM, DVCPRO. I have a new Lion machine with all the proper codecs installed but now iTunes won't import them into the library. Does anyone know if iTunes in the Lion environment dropped professional codec playback support?

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Those are Pro editing codecs not really not meant for the average consumer for watching media. Also the tremendous file sizes are not a feature consumers are not willing to put up with.

I would not be surprised if they don't support this in iTunes as there are more important aspects for them to worry about.

3. rhkamra thread starter macrumors member

Point taken and I do understand that iTunes is mainly targeted at consumers rather than professionals for video playback. However I find it very strange that it works fine in Snow Leopard and Leopard but not in Lion.

4. b01189 macrumors member

Yes, I noticed that iTunes and quicktime had dropped the XDcam 422 and XDcam EX when i purchased my MBP recently. I simply solved the issue by installing FCP studio 3 and installing sony's XDcam trans code software.

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a