Professional HD+SD video editing solution & 3D graphics for 2010

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlie Croker, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Charlie Croker macrumors member

Charlie Croker

This is a shout out to other video pros. There are a lot of queries but if you feel like answering one of them, it would help a lot! Or perhaps post your set-up if you do similar work to me (if it's a relatively new one). I'll shortly need to buy a system for my work place and have been looking at the options. I do a lot of video encoding at both SD and HD quality, I do a lot of design work on Adobe (After Effects / Photoshop etc.) software and also 3D work on Maya will be happening.

Due to the processor improvements on the horizon with the Core i7-980X (Gulftown), I've been holding out for the upgrade but I will have to spend the budget soon. I may be forced to buy an existing Mac Pro or iMac.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/15/details-of-core-i7-970x-gulftown-mac-pro-processors-leaked/

I've also been thinking about what graphics card to include and have been considering the NVidia Quadro FX 4800 though this is a few months old.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_quadro_fx_4800_for_mac_uk.html

I also need to use video footage on external hard drives and use G-Tech 2TBs at present with eSATA/FW800/FW400/USB2, but can only use FW400 with my present system. Hopefully the 2010 Mac Pro set up can take advantage of the eSATA.

I also need to do a lot of DVD and Blu-Ray creation for my clients. I will need to test the Blu-Ray discs once finalised for errors etc. So my questions are:

1. Quadro FX 4800 card - the best solution for my needs?
    2. Do I need to buy a card for the eSATA connections or is there another method? And if so, any recommendations?
    3. Blu-Ray HD creation - I'm planning on using Final Cut for editing duties and Adobe Encore CS4/Toast10 for Blu-Ray creation with something like the LG GGW-H20L or Lacie drive. Is there a better solution around? I have used DVD Studio Pro for DVD creation in the past, so I know both software.
    4. If Gulftown doesn't arrive in the next 8 weeks, what to do? The iMac seems to be out-performing the Mac Pro or at least providing a close match for a lot cheaper price, but I think I could run into connectivity trouble with the iMac.
    5. Monitor set-up. How do other pro video editors work? Do you run a large main screen for the Mac and a 2nd monitor for video playback? I'd be interested in your monitor choices.
    6. If I can convince the need for a Mac Book Pro for commute-time work, will only the 17" do in terms of eSATA connectivity when in the office and power for HD video editing? It would be too big for my train commutes really. Can I get away with using the 15" with best graphics card for HD editing, based on current stats?
    7. For Blu-Ray disc testing, do you use a standalone player, typically Sony to check for errors, seeing as the Mac won't play back the format? Any particular recommendations?
    8. Finally, due to the still tricky issues with Macs and Blu-Ray support, are there any video pros who have decided to go the PC route - and with what?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

(1) You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
    (2) Try posting over in the Mac Pro thread - most of us that hang out in the buying tips are more versed in the common stuff like iMacs and MB/A/P and not so much in the specifics of the Pros.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Probably not. Under Windows Maya will see improved performance and the card is supported. If you are using OS X then just use the 4870 or GTX 285. Even if you are using Maya under windows you would probably be better spending the budget on 8 cores, more memory or faster storage than getting a Quadro.

The iMac isn't the solution for what you are wanting to do. Forget about the fact that it has a little more processing power, it can't match the Mac Pro in other areas you are looking at and if we bring a dual socket system in to the equation then it's a toy.

4. Charlie Croker thread starter macrumors member

Charlie Croker

Perhaps this post is better served on the video forum or the Mac Pro forum? Perhaps an administrator would know where and could do the honours.