professional iMac upgrades

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arkious, May 5, 2011.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

ive read that numerous pleople have said to get professionals to fit parts to the imac, i have taken out a 3 year apple care plan but want a blu-ray drive fitted internally. will this void the warrenty?

its just the tamper evedant stickers on the lcd pannel isnt it? i wonder if they can be purchased elsewhere :p

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If Apple opens it up and sees a custom-fitted BluRay drive in your iMac the odds of them servicing your machine under warranty are slim.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I believe that the only thing that is upgradeable on the iMac is RAM. So yes it will void you warrantee to install blu-ray.

4. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

But what if it was removed before I took it in?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If nothing else was broken and there was no evidence of the switch, how would Apple even know? They wouldn't.

6. qzxyu macrumors member

This is a tough question. I have read about people taking in their computers with Blu-Rays or aftermarket drives and such and having no problem at all. Of course if you ask an Apple employee this question, they will tell you the warranty will be voided. I have only heard one story of someone going into the store and not being able to use their Apple Care on their product and that was because they changed the HD and it broke on them. He then tried to put the old Apple HD back in, but they could tell it had been swapped already. Maybe look around a bit more and see what other peoples experiences are. Or read the 500 page contract for Apple Care and try to decipher it for all of us. :D

7. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Well... I was thinking, the not so 'super' drive is held in with 1 screw, so removing that one screw is where I will need to be careful. However apple haven't put warranty void if removed stickers on the screen because you need to access inside to clean fans and heat sinks. So if they were to pull so thin like you have tampered, yes I have to clean out dust. I will check with apple over the phone and see what they say :)

8. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I plan to add a DSS to my iMac. Rather than do this myself, I will have a local, large and reputable Apple authorized service center do this. The cost, around $140 - this way I believe I will have a strong warranty position should I need it.

9. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

unfortunatly here in the UK, we dont have things like that.

up until... hmmm... less than a year ago we didnt have a local apple store, the closest was neerly 200 miles away!

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Whats a DSS?

Just add the BR externally. better, faster, stronger, cheaper.

11. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

But ugly :-(

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Ahhh, didnt know this was the "iMac and beauty" forum. :D

Although I have my optical moved over, fits right under the "chin" on a iMac

[​IMG]

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I talked with a third party authorized shop recently concerning installing a ssd. They said they could do it, and it wouldn't effect the warranty, but suggested that I'd probably want to make sure I brought in the machine to them for applecare repairs after it was installed.

14. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

you cant say the iMac isnt all beauty? quite frankly the iMac makes 99% of computers look terd lol but the best thing about the imac is that it looks so professional, neat and tidy when it sits on your desk in your living room <3. simply adding an external drive would be like... i dont know (i know you guys dont like comparing computers to things but...) putting extras on a porsche lol xD (hardly a comparison but you get the idea i love the unibody).

and thats interesting :p if you can take the iMac for apple care repairs elsewhere they might be more... forgiving for opening it up lol