Professional or Prosumer MacBook Pro owner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SilentCrs, Jun 18, 2009.

?

Professional or Prosumer?

1. Professional (see definition below)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Prosumer (see definition below)

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro for some minor programming/gaming and I noticed a number of people on this forum still talking about photography/video/design work -- stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I would of thought, given Apple's shift to mainstream, that "professionals" would be outnumbered by people like me (let's call it "prosumer") by now. My definitions:

Professional: Purchased a MacBook Pro for photography/video/design work. Plans to do "artistic work" with their machine.

Prosumer: Wants the most powerful machine they can afford for day to day use. Some general purpose work. Some gaming. Usually a migrator from PC.

Put another way: "professionals" care about color gamut and brightness bleed. They're Apple's "old" customers. Prosumers care about raw power and gaming. They're Apple's "new" customers (mostly coming from the PC world).

What are you?

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Is both an option? I was initially going to school for graphic design 3 years ago when I bought my first Mac. Used it for nearly 3 years, even though I decided I'm more interested in Criminal Justice, and now I'm running a 13" MBP. I still do some design and web work, but nothing significant. 80% of my time on the computer is spent just using the internet and general programs.