Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
This question isn't only for people in healthcare, or who use their iPads professionally, but those are the cases I'd be extremely interested in hearing from. I've been out of the iPad scene for the past 2-3 years and am trying to figure out what's changed; what's now possible (or impossible); and what's worth getting.

I work in healthcare. When I worked in a hospital setting I used an iPad - first a mini, and then when it stopped receiving updates, an iPad Pro 9.7" with the first-generation Apple Pencil. It was used heavily, for a combination of things: paper replacement (writing notes from patient encounters that would then be transcribed into the electronic health record); reference (medical information and literature, articles); team communications; and occasionally, giving Keynote presentations. It worked beautifully for this use case, and with an Otterbox Defender case and a case from Ztylus for the Apple Pencil that also added a clip, the devices could also withstand alcohol and bleach-based wipes to keep them sanitary.

Work changed about three years ago, and I stopped using my iPad, but I'm set to return to the way things were before and I'll be using an iPad in my workflow regularly again. I worry that the performance and the battery of my old, trusty 9.7" A9X iPad Pro may not hold up as well as I remember, given new software demands and the impact of age (and disuse) on the batteries of the iPad and Pencil. The new iPads also have FaceID, which - if it can also use the Apple Watch to unlock similar to what the iPhones can do (I'm guessing not, though, since the Watch does not pair to the iPad) - would be perfect, since there were a fair number of times that my hands were in gloves, or wet from washing, and TouchID was unusable.

The new Pencil seems less work-friendly; I recall needing to recharge my first-get Pencil once or twice during the day (if that), and I could do so easily on the iPad or with a special charging cable I bought, but the new iPads seemingly could not fit a full-coverage case because the Pencil needed to be right up against the iPad to charge... and there's no other way to charge it, right? That, in turn, makes the iPad less work-friendly because while I see Otterbox does have a case that accommodates the Apple Pencil, it's not a full-coverage case like the Defender. Those aren't necessarily deal-breakers, and it seems to be the way things are going (Apple still sells the first-ten Pencil, it still has a Lightning port and there's no adapter, so you cannot charge it from the newer iPads).

The question comes down to: are there any good cases for the new iPad Pros and Apple Pencil Gen2 for professional use, ideally that can help to protect them from regular sanitization? If not, just how badly did people feel moving from the previous generation gear to the newer ones? It's mostly a question of whether I should upgrade now and feel comfortable with that decision, or hold out, use the gear I have, and possibly even invest in a new first-generation Apple Pencil (should the battery on mine be shot) because the newer stuff is too limiting.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
There are cases for the Mini 6 that are full coverage and have a place for the pencil with an opening so that it charges. I don’t need that on my iPad Pros so I haven’t looked, but I would be surprised if the same design isn’t available for the current Pros. Have you looked on Amazon for rugged cases for the model you are thinkoping of getting? Also, maybe search for case review articles.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
The new iPads also have FaceID, which - if it can also use the Apple Watch to unlock similar to what the iPhones can do (I'm guessing not, though, since the Watch does not pair to the iPad) - would be perfect, since there were a fair number of times that my hands were in gloves, or wet from washing, and TouchID was unusable.

Unlocking with the Watch does not work on the iPads sadly.

Those aren't necessarily deal-breakers, and it seems to be the way things are going (Apple still sells the first-ten Pencil, it still has a Lightning port and there's no adapter, so you cannot charge it from the newer iPads).

Something to keep in mind: if you opt for the iPad Air or one of the new Pros, you need Apple Pencil 2 (the first-gen Pencil will not work with these at all, charging issues aside).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledgem

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don’t think the use case for iPads have really changed much since your iPad Pro. Everything about them, from performance to ports is better, but the software hasn’t really evolved much, so expect to largely do the same stuff on your iPad today as you did back then.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What EHR do you all use? We use Epic where I work and there is Canto for the iPad that has Dragon built in. Do you use DMO (Dragon Medical One)? You can use your iPad as a microphone using Powermic Mobile App.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Really intriguing - thank you! I should have realized that in the past few years there would be Apple Pencil alternatives. I'll have to give these a closer look.
Check out Jam Jake stylus for iPad. Charges via USB C and save for double tap to change tool, it does everything the Apple Pencil does for ¼ of the price. I have one and it’s been great.

Reactions: Ledgem

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
What EHR do you all use? We use Epic where I work and there is Canto for the iPad that has Dragon built in. Do you use DMO (Dragon Medical One)? You can use your iPad as a microphone using Powermic Mobile App.
This is useful to know - yes, also Epic with Dragon Medical One. Last time I loaded up Canto was about six years ago, and at that time it was incredibly limited in what it could do. I'll look into that a bit more. Overall got used to carrying around a Speechmike or PowerMic (depending on the hospital) for dictating out of nursing units, but doing it from Canto with the iPad - if the microphones are good enough - is an intriguing option. Thanks for mentioning this!

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
This is useful to know - yes, also Epic with Dragon Medical One. Last time I loaded up Canto was about six years ago, and at that time it was incredibly limited in what it could do. I'll look into that a bit more. Overall got used to carrying around a Speechmike or PowerMic (depending on the hospital) for dictating out of nursing units, but doing it from Canto with the iPad - if the microphones are good enough - is an intriguing option. Thanks for mentioning this!
Epic has really improved Haiku and Canto. I train providers with DMO, Haiku, Vocera, etc. The powermic is very good and programmable and the Powermic Mobile app gives you the ability to dictate into Canto using DMO. Smartphrases still can't be loaded into Haiku or Canto, but there are work arounds like using Auto Texts.

I have been told that AirPods work with DMO/Haiku, so it should work with Canto.

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
Epic has really improved Haiku and Canto. I train providers with DMO, Haiku, Vocera, etc. The powermic is very good and programmable and the Powermic Mobile app gives you the ability to dictate into Canto using DMO. Smartphrases still can't be loaded into Haiku or Canto, but there are work arounds like using Auto Texts.

I have been told that AirPods work with DMO/Haiku, so it should work with Canto.
Do you know if handwriting recognition with the Apple Pencil works in Canto? It would be nice to write some text into a note for use later (and not the Jot note feature in Canto)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.